Soviet space videos

Old April 10th 06, 03:34 PM posted to sci.space.history

Default Soviet space videos

http://www.ihffilm.com/ihf/soviet-sp...ploration.html

Pat
Old April 10th 06, 08:58 PM posted to sci.space.history

Pat Flannery wrote:
http://www.ihffilm.com/ihf/soviet-sp...ploration.html

Pat

Yea, but they have never sent a monkey into space!

http://heighes.org.uk/images/b3ta/space_monkey.jpg

Rusty

Old April 13th 06, 01:42 PM posted to sci.space.history

Rusty wrote:

Pat Flannery wrote:

http://www.ihffilm.com/ihf/soviet-sp...ploration.html

Pat

Yea, but they have never sent a monkey into space!

Yes, they did send some- I've got a photo of one of them with an
electrical wire coming out of the side of its head and going to a box
that's glued to its cranium. They used green disinfectant on it, and the
thing looks like some sort of Borg monkey.

Pat
Old April 13th 06, 05:26 PM posted to sci.space.history

On Thu, 13 Apr 2006 07:42:10 -0500, Pat Flannery
wrote:

Yes, they did send some- I've got a photo of one of them with an
electrical wire coming out of the side of its head and going to a box
that's glued to its cranium. They used green disinfectant on it, and the
thing looks like some sort of Borg monkey.

....They did send some rhesus monkey types into orbit on some biosat
experiments, but not many. IIRC, they sent up more dogs than monkeys,
which has always had me envisioning a version of "Planet of the Apes"
where "Churchdoor"(*) wasn't used, and Dr. Zaius' grandson has to lead
his people against not a threat from intelligent humans, but from an
evil conquering hoard of intelligent Communist Dogs.

(*) Currently retconned code-name for the Doomsday Bomb :-)
OM
--
]=====================================[
] Let's face it: Sometimes you *need* [
Old April 14th 06, 08:13 PM posted to sci.space.history

OM wrote:

...They did send some rhesus monkey types into orbit on some biosat
experiments, but not many.

Actually, quite a few: http://www.answers.com/topic/monkeys-in-space

"Soviet Union/Russia

The Soviet/Russian space program in the Bion program satellites used
only the rhesus species.

The first Soviet monkeys, Abrek and Bion, flew on Bion 6. They were
aloft from December 14
http://www.answers.com/main/ntquery;jsessionid=48og9cui4p6ec?method=4&dsid=222 2&dekey=December+14&curtab=2222_1&sbid=lc06a,
1983
http://www.answers.com/main/ntquery;jsessionid=48og9cui4p6ec?method=4&dsid=222 2&dekey=1983&curtab=2222_1&sbid=lc06a
- December 20
http://www.answers.com/main/ntquery;jsessionid=48og9cui4p6ec?method=4&dsid=222 2&dekey=December+20&curtab=2222_1&sbid=lc06a,
1983
http://www.answers.com/main/ntquery;jsessionid=48og9cui4p6ec?method=4&dsid=222 2&dekey=1983&curtab=2222_1&sbid=lc06a.

Next came Bion 7 with monkeys Verny and Gordy from July 10
http://www.answers.com/main/ntquery;jsessionid=48og9cui4p6ec?method=4&dsid=222 2&dekey=July+10&curtab=2222_1&sbid=lc06a,
1985
http://www.answers.com/main/ntquery;jsessionid=48og9cui4p6ec?method=4&dsid=222 2&dekey=1985&curtab=2222_1&sbid=lc06a
- July 17
http://www.answers.com/main/ntquery;jsessionid=48og9cui4p6ec?method=4&dsid=222 2&dekey=July+17&curtab=2222_1&sbid=lc06a,
1985
http://www.answers.com/main/ntquery;jsessionid=48og9cui4p6ec?method=4&dsid=222 2&dekey=1985&curtab=2222_1&sbid=lc06a.
Then Drema and Yerosha on Bion 8 from September 29
http://www.answers.com/main/ntquery;jsessionid=48og9cui4p6ec?method=4&dsid=222 2&dekey=September+29&curtab=2222_1&sbid=lc06a,
1987
http://www.answers.com/main/ntquery;jsessionid=48og9cui4p6ec?method=4&dsid=222 2&dekey=1987&curtab=2222_1&sbid=lc06a
- October 12
http://www.answers.com/main/ntquery;jsessionid=48og9cui4p6ec?method=4&dsid=222 2&dekey=October+12&curtab=2222_1&sbid=lc06a,
1987
http://www.answers.com/main/ntquery;jsessionid=48og9cui4p6ec?method=4&dsid=222 2&dekey=1987&curtab=2222_1&sbid=lc06a.

Bion 9 with monkeys Zhakonya and Zabiyaka followed from September 15
http://www.answers.com/main/ntquery;jsessionid=48og9cui4p6ec?method=4&dsid=222 2&dekey=September+15&curtab=2222_1&sbid=lc06a,
1989
http://www.answers.com/main/ntquery;jsessionid=48og9cui4p6ec?method=4&dsid=222 2&dekey=1989&curtab=2222_1&sbid=lc06a
to September 28
http://www.answers.com/main/ntquery;jsessionid=48og9cui4p6ec?method=4&dsid=222 2&dekey=September+28&curtab=2222_1&sbid=lc06a,
1989
http://www.answers.com/main/ntquery;jsessionid=48og9cui4p6ec?method=4&dsid=222 2&dekey=1989&curtab=2222_1&sbid=lc06a.
They hold the monkey in space endurance record at 13 days, 17 hours in
space. Monkeys Krosh and Ivasha flew on Bion 10 from December 29
http://www.answers.com/main/ntquery;jsessionid=48og9cui4p6ec?method=4&dsid=222 2&dekey=December+29&curtab=2222_1&sbid=lc06a,
1992
http://www.answers.com/main/ntquery;jsessionid=48og9cui4p6ec?method=4&dsid=222 2&dekey=1992&curtab=2222_1&sbid=lc06a
to January 7
http://www.answers.com/main/ntquery;jsessionid=48og9cui4p6ec?method=4&dsid=222 2&dekey=January+7&curtab=2222_1&sbid=lc06a,
1993
http://www.answers.com/main/ntquery;jsessionid=48og9cui4p6ec?method=4&dsid=222 2&dekey=1993&curtab=2222_1&sbid=lc06a.
Lapik and Multik are the last space monkeys to date. They flew aboard
the Bion 11 mission from December 24
http://www.answers.com/main/ntquery;jsessionid=48og9cui4p6ec?method=4&dsid=222 2&dekey=December+24&curtab=2222_1&sbid=lc06a,
1996
http://www.answers.com/main/ntquery;jsessionid=48og9cui4p6ec?method=4&dsid=222 2&dekey=1996&curtab=2222_1&sbid=lc06a
to January 7
http://www.answers.com/main/ntquery;jsessionid=48og9cui4p6ec?method=4&dsid=222 2&dekey=January+7&curtab=2222_1&sbid=lc06a,
1997
http://www.answers.com/main/ntquery;jsessionid=48og9cui4p6ec?method=4&dsid=222 2&dekey=1997&curtab=2222_1&sbid=lc06a.
Multik died soon after landing.

The names of the monkeys started on each letter of Russian alphabet
http://www.answers.com/main/ntquery;jsessionid=48og9cui4p6ec?method=4&dsid=222 2&dekey=Russian+alphabet&curtab=2222_1&sbid=lc06 a
sequentially (A, B, V, G, D, E, Zh, Z, I, K, L, M...)"

"monkey in space endurance record"?! We can not allow a space monkey
gap! :-)

Pat