tomcat's Nice Little Sub-Orbital Runabout

Old August 7th 06, 03:26 AM posted to rec.org.mensa,sci.space.policy,sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.history
tomcat

Default tomcat's Nice Little Sub-Orbital Runabout

Brad Guth wrote:
"tomcat" wrote in message
oups.com

That LL-1 is a 'hill' is a good point. There is no perfect fit.
Therefore, you will gradually have a decaying 'perfect Lagrange' orbit,
which is a little less than perfect.

Better to make an isoceles triangle with the planetary body you wish to
a stable position with and simply swing along behind, or in front.

tomcat,
You can't read, can you?

Why are you intentionally avoiding the intent of this topic, and
otherwise intentionally diverting this topic?

What brown-nosed MI/NSA~NASA cloak of damage-control instructions are
you following this time around?

My position on Space Elevators is that they probably are going to be a
good deal more difficult to make then what the proponents of the idea
think. Satellites in geosynchronous orbit don't just go round and
round perfectly. Those nasty 'mascons' you talk about alter their
altitude and position considerably from time to time. Not to mention
meteorites and solar flares.

I recommend that you experiment first. Take 1000 feet of rope and drag
it along with you to the local woods. Make a swing out of it by using
a tree limb. Did you notice how the rope stretches and shrinks with
pressure and moisture? How it gets all twisted up and knots? Did you
trip over some of it while pulling it along and trying to fling it over
the tree limb?

Now, imagine tying a 22,000 mile length of rope to a geosynchronous
satellite that varies it's altitude by 20 or 30 miles from time to
time. And, if you do it for power generation you have to put a copper
core in the rope and then it will get all kinked up! And, when you
hammer on it while holding onto the rope, at say 85,000 feet, heaven
forbid that you might strike the copper core with your steel hammer.
You'll light up like a Christmas Tree!

Arthur Clarke predicted that it might become a reality about 50 years
after people stop laughing about it. Well, I am still have a chuckle
over it.

What about Solar Flares? Well, a good old Sol X-Flare and your power
generating elevator rope will turn into a gigantic sparkler, blue-white
flames everywhere, and your geosynchronous satellite will . . .
Explode!

tomcat

Old August 7th 06, 04:57 AM posted to rec.org.mensa,sci.space.policy,sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

BlagooBlanaa wrote:

you mean they achieved an unstable quasi-equilibrium?
at LSD-5

ROFL

Good one, Centurion!
It would have been fascinating to watch what would happen if you threw
several thousand political ideologues, each of which is sure that a
utopia could only work if it followed their specific ideas of government
and no other, into a giant tin can in space. A army composed entirely of
generals in other words. They'd be killing each other inside of a week
over obscure philosophical concepts. :-D

Pat
Old August 7th 06, 11:46 AM posted to sci.space.history
Monte Davis Monte Davis is offline
Senior Member

Pat Flannery wrote:

It would have been fascinating to watch what would happen if you threw
several thousand political ideologues, each of which is sure that a
utopia could only work if...

Kinda like throwing a hew hundred space ideologues, each certain that
we could be halfway to Neptune next Tuesday if we'd only adopt *his*
technology/architecture/organization/motivation, onto some newsgroups.
They'd be killfiling each other inside of a week...
Old August 7th 06, 03:29 PM posted to rec.org.mensa,sci.space.policy,sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.history
Brad Guth[_2_]

"tomcat" wrote in message
ps.com

My position on Space Elevators is that they probably are going to be a
good deal more difficult to make then what the proponents of the idea
think. Satellites in geosynchronous orbit don't just go round and
round perfectly. Those nasty 'mascons' you talk about alter their
altitude and position considerably from time to time. Not to mention
meteorites and solar flares.

You're such an official MI/NSA~NASA ass of a borg minion, arnt you.

You didn't even know what LL-1 was until just the day before.

You don't even know the difference between the ESE and the LSE.

There's nothing demanding that the CM(counter mass) of a given lunar
space elevator that need stay absolutely put if allowed to freely float
about, as in keeping any one exact location, but you're too much of a
born-again and otherwise brown-nosed certified bigot to understand such
matters.

The CM of the LSE-CM/ISS isn't even all that geosynchronous demanding,
nor is it even all that centrifugal force demanding, as it has the
somewhat reliable gravity influence of mother Earth to work with, as in
orbital and grvitational physics duh-101.

The lunar mascons are of a total none issue with the physics and/or
orbital mechanics of the LSE-CM/ISS because, the LSE-CM/ISS isn't like
those NASA/Apollo missions orbiting past any of those nasty mascons. My
freaking God you're such an absolute ass of an ass, art you.

BTW; we don't give a tinkers damn about your sicko if not pathetic
naysay opinions. Instead we want your best wizardly expertise and
constructive ideas and/or whatever's your SWAG as to making stuff
happen. You know, like your fat-waverider of a spaceplane, that I'd bet
Arthur Clarke would be having a real chuckle about the village idiot
that you are.

I recommend that you experiment first. Take 1000 feet of rope and drag
it along with you to the local woods. Make a swing out of it by using
a tree limb. Did you notice how the rope stretches and shrinks with
pressure and moisture? How it gets all twisted up and knots? Did you
trip over some of it while pulling it along and trying to fling it over
the tree limb?

I recommend that yourself and of those other Democratic Jews that voted
Republican should go to hell, and then some.

I guess now we know that you're just a kid or some MI/NSA~NASA spook
that's on drugs.

Now, imagine tying a 22,000 mile length of rope to a geosynchronous
satellite that varies it's altitude by 20 or 30 miles from time to
time. And, if you do it for power generation you have to put a copper
core in the rope and then it will get all kinked up! And, when you
hammer on it while holding onto the rope, at say 85,000 feet, heaven
forbid that you might strike the copper core with your steel hammer.
You'll light up like a Christmas Tree!

Arthur Clarke predicted that it might become a reality about 50 years
after people stop laughing about it. Well, I am still have a chuckle
over it.

Up until the other day, you knew nothing about Arthur Clarke's "clarke
station", and now you're the all knowing expert.

I think Clarke would laugh in public at the village idiot that you are.

What about Solar Flares? Well, a good old Sol X-Flare and your power
generating elevator rope will turn into a gigantic sparkler, blue-white
flames everywhere, and your geosynchronous satellite will . . .
Explode!

My point exactly about each of those hocus-pocus NASA/Apollo missions
that never set a dusty, double-IR hot and TBI lethal moonboot on that
physically dark moon of ours that should have been electrostatic worthy
as all get out.

BTW No.2; Venus was unavoidably situated above the physically dark
horizon and otherwise cruising nearby within A-11, A14 and A-16. So
you're nothing but a certified liar because, any half-brain of a solar
system simulator proves that you're a liar and a certified bigot to
boot.

Now you're saying that the moon's multi teravoltage and quite possibly
multi terajoule differential is some kind of a problem. And here I'd
merely thought the gamma and unavoidable hard-X-ray dosage was a
problem.

BTW No.3; what's the polarity of our moon?

Of course that's also of squeaky clean energy that could be transferred
back to Earth, but what could we possibly do with such clean and 100%
renewable energy that's essentially continuous?
-
Brad Guth

Old August 7th 06, 03:32 PM posted to rec.org.mensa,sci.space.policy,sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.history
Brad Guth[_2_]

"rimala2323" wrote in message
oups.com

i dun think so

Is that because you're only 3 years old?
-
Brad Guth

Old August 7th 06, 08:00 PM posted to sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

Monte Davis wrote:

Kinda like throwing a hew hundred space ideologues, each certain that
we could be halfway to Neptune next Tuesday if we'd only adopt *his*
technology/architecture/organization/motivation, onto some newsgroups.
They'd be killfiling each other inside of a week...

Rand Simberg used to be a L5 member.
'nuff said. :-D
Anyway, have a peek at what the libertarian wing of L5 turned into:
http://www.islandone.org/
http://samizdata.net/
I particularly like that last one; I think they intend to build a free
society where everyone's rights are respected no matter how many people
must be killed in the process.
In that respect they are fairly close to the Bolsheviks. ;-)

Pat

Old August 8th 06, 12:02 AM posted to sci.space.history
Monte Davis Monte Davis is offline
Senior Member

I was briefly an L5 member too, around '79. I'm not writing much about
its subsequent transformations, most of which have been about as
interesting to 99.9% of the world -- and about as significant -- as
the quarrels of the Workers' Neo-Trotskyite International (Reformed),
the Third World Revolutionary Splinter Vanguard, and the Caribbean
People's Psychedelic Feminist Front.

Old August 8th 06, 01:00 AM posted to sci.space.history
Henry Spencer

In article ,
Pat Flannery wrote:
Rand Simberg used to be a L5 member.
'nuff said. :-D

So was I... Indeed, the only reason I'm still a member of NSS is that
life members of L5 became life members of NSS.

Alas, in hindsight, by the time I joined, L5 had already been taken over
by the cheerleader squad, and its days were numbered.
Old August 8th 06, 03:17 AM posted to sci.space.history
Jorge R. Frank

Monte Davis wrote in
:

I was briefly an L5 member too, around '79. I'm not writing much about
its subsequent transformations, most of which have been about as
interesting to 99.9% of the world -- and about as significant -- as
the quarrels of the Workers' Neo-Trotskyite International (Reformed),
the Third World Revolutionary Splinter Vanguard, and the Caribbean
People's Psychedelic Feminist Front.

Actually, it reminds me more of the Judean People's Front, the People's
Front of Judea, the Judean Popular People's Front...

Splitters.

--
JRF

think one step ahead of IBM.