Silly Putty on Apollo 8?

Old January 5th 06, 01:05 AM posted to sci.space.history

Default Silly Putty on Apollo 8?

That's the claim of http://www.chem.umn.edu/outreach/Sillyputty.html
Any truth to it?
--
Kevin Willoughby lid

In this country, we produce more students with university degrees
in sports management than we do in engineering. - Dean Kamen
Old January 5th 06, 02:45 AM posted to sci.space.history

Kevin Willoughby wrote:
That's the claim of http://www.chem.umn.edu/outreach/Sillyputty.html
Any truth to it?
--
Kevin Willoughby lid

In this country, we produce more students with university degrees
in sports management than we do in engineering. - Dean Kamen

The Silly Putty company web site also makes the same claim.

http://www.sillyputty.com/
http://www.sillyputty.com/campus_news/spfactsheet.pdf

"The astronauts of the Apollo 8 mission carried Silly Putty into space
with them, in a
specially designed sterling silver egg, to alleviate boredom and to
help fasten down tools
during the weightless period. Neiman-Marcus, a Dallas, Texas, retailer,
later sold the
limited-edition Silly Putty eggs for $75 in their Christmas catalog."

Rusty

Old January 5th 06, 06:00 PM posted to sci.space.history

Rusty wrote:

"The astronauts of the Apollo 8 mission carried Silly Putty into space
with them, in a
specially designed sterling silver egg, to alleviate boredom and to
help fasten down tools
during the weightless period. Neiman-Marcus, a Dallas, Texas, retailer,
later sold the
limited-edition Silly Putty eggs for $75 in their Christmas catalog."

Doesn't this fall into the same category that "The Fallen Astronaut"
figure on the Moon did?
http://www.check-six.com/lib/Fallen_Astros.htm
The artist got into trouble when it was found he was selling replicas of
the figure.

Pat
Old January 5th 06, 07:09 PM posted to sci.space.history

Pat Flannery wrote:
Rusty wrote:

"The astronauts of the Apollo 8 mission carried Silly Putty into space
with them, in a
specially designed sterling silver egg, to alleviate boredom and to
help fasten down tools
during the weightless period. Neiman-Marcus, a Dallas, Texas, retailer,
later sold the
limited-edition Silly Putty eggs for $75 in their Christmas catalog."

Doesn't this fall into the same category that "The Fallen Astronaut"
figure on the Moon did?
http://www.check-six.com/lib/Fallen_Astros.htm
The artist got into trouble when it was found he was selling replicas of
the figure.

Pat

It's Gort! "Gort, Klaatu Barada Nikto!!!!!"

;-)

From time to time you see people selling pieces of mylar from the

Apollo 11
command modules, also. How do they get things like that? (I know, buy
some
mylar, crinkle it up, scorch it and claim it was from Apollo 11.)

Rusty

Old January 6th 06, 01:00 AM posted to sci.space.history

Pat Flannery wrote:

Rusty wrote:

"The astronauts of the Apollo 8 mission carried Silly Putty into space
with them, in a
specially designed sterling silver egg, to alleviate boredom and to
help fasten down tools
during the weightless period...

Whoa. Did they only use it to make impressions from the Bible pages, or
did they bounce it around the cabin?

I loved how that **** used to bounce like hell -- and you couldn't
really get it into a perfectly spherical ball, of course, so it'd bounce
at really weird unexpected angles, too.

--

..

"Though I could not caution all, I yet may warn a few:
Don't lend your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools!"

--grateful dead.
Mike Flugennock, flugennock at sinkers dot org
"Mikey'zine": dubya dubya dubya dot sinkers dot org
Old January 6th 06, 02:12 PM posted to sci.space.history

mike flugennock wrote:

Pat Flannery wrote:

Rusty wrote:

"The astronauts of the Apollo 8 mission carried Silly Putty into space
with them, in a
specially designed sterling silver egg, to alleviate boredom and to
help fasten down tools
during the weightless period...

Watch the attribution, I didn't write any of that.

Whoa. Did they only use it to make impressions from the Bible pages,
or did they bounce it around the cabin?

I loved how that **** used to bounce like hell -- and you couldn't
really get it into a perfectly spherical ball, of course, so it'd
bounce at really weird unexpected angles, too.

Don't ever get it in your hair.

Pat
Old January 7th 06, 06:36 PM posted to sci.space.history

"Pat Flannery" wrote in message

I loved how that **** used to bounce like hell -- and you couldn't really
get it into a perfectly spherical ball, of course, so it'd bounce at
really weird unexpected angles, too.

Don't ever get it in your hair.

which is less and less probable for many of us

Old January 7th 06, 07:28 PM posted to sci.space.history

On Sat, 07 Jan 2006 13:36:08 -0500, Terrell Miller wrote:

Don't ever get it in your hair.

which is less and less probable for many of us

Beards, however...

--
Chuck Stewart
"Anime-style catgirls: Threat? Menace? Or just studying algebra?"
Old January 7th 06, 11:00 PM posted to sci.space.history

Chuck Stewart wrote:

which is less and less probable for many of us

Beards, however...

"Within this vale of toil and sin, your head grows bald, but not your chin."
"Said Farmer Brown, who's bald on top 'Wish I could rotate the crop' "
Burma-Shave slogans ;-)

Pat
Old January 8th 06, 08:24 AM posted to sci.space.history

On Sat, 07 Jan 2006 17:00:38 -0600, Pat Flannery
wrote:

"Within this vale of toil and sin, your head grows bald, but not your chin."
"Said Farmer Brown, who's bald on top 'Wish I could rotate the crop' "
Burma-Shave slogans ;-)

Don't waste your flames
all good and well
on lost Brad Guth
who's going to Hell!

OM
--
] Let's face it: Sometimes you *need* [

NASA PDF - Apollo Experience Reports - 114 reports Rusty History 1 July 27th 05 03:52 AM
NASA PDF Mercury, Gemini, Apollo reports free online Rusty Barton History 81 October 3rd 04 05:33 PM
The Apollo Hoax FAQ (is not spam) :-) Nathan Jones Astronomy Misc 5 July 29th 04 06:14 AM
Apollo Buzz alDredge Misc 5 July 28th 04 10:05 AM
The Apollo Hoax FAQ darla Misc 10 July 25th 04 02:57 PM