Telescope help for a beginner

Old June 13th 05, 01:02 PM
Capt Morgan

Default Telescope help for a beginner

Ive posted this on another newsgroup and had some good advice, plus website
http://www.scsastro.co.uk/ was also mentioned to me.
As a beginner can anyone here offer any advice ? my original post is below
:-

in a couple of days i reach the Big 38 .... ive been asked what i would
like and have always quite fancied
a decent telescope, one thats reasonably capable - ie one that i could look
really closely at the moon with but also see objects such as this advert
quotes ie "the rings of Saturn, the satellites of Jupiter, and the Orion
Nebula (M42); to more difficult objects such as the Ring Nebula (M57) in
Lyra, the Spiral Galaxy (M33) in Triangulum, and the Sombrero Galaxy (M104)
in Virgo; to very obscure objects near the telescope's threshold of
visibility such as the diffuse nebula NGC 6559 in Sagittarius, the galactic
star cluster NGC 1778 in Auriga, and the spiral galaxy NGC 3310 in Ursa
Major"

It comes with a "goto" system which would be ideal for me as ive no idea of
using a telescope efficiently as yet ..!
I would be using it away from street light pollution etc so clear dark skies
would be the order of the day.
Ive heard of Reflectors , Refractors etc , the one below has a
"Maksutov-Cassegrain optical tube assembly" and all in all seems like a
good buy ??? would anyone have any ideas? for 500 pounds it seems like
one
that would be pretty good and last for years...

http://www.skyviewoptics.co.uk/produ...=509&type=sale

Old June 13th 05, 02:36 PM
Mark S. Holden

--

You might look at the recent thread: Beginner - ETX 90AT vs. EC

In any case, I think it's a good idea to attend a star party or visit an
astronomical society or two so you can look through various scopes in your price
range to see what you like before you buy something.
Old June 13th 05, 02:51 PM
Starlord

Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord

Suggest you read this first.

Old June 13th 05, 03:23 PM
Klaatu

Capt Morgan wrote:

[...]

"Starware" by Philip S. Harrington, published by Wiley is a good resource.
Third edition was published in 2002
http://www.philharrington.net/sw2.htm .
Looks like there will be a forth edition.
Old June 13th 05, 03:42 PM
Capt Morgan

Thanks for all the advice - everybody .
got lots more info / sites to look through now,
cheers!

Old June 13th 05, 04:38 PM
Capt Morgan

ive just had this one, which seems a good recommendation , i.e. good for a
beginner and within the budget im prepared to go for ( having no prior
experience )
any thoughts?

http://www.scsastro.co.uk/it040015.htm

Old June 13th 05, 05:21 PM
Mark S. Holden

Capt Morgan wrote:

ive just had this one, which seems a good recommendation , i.e. good for a
beginner and within the budget im prepared to go for ( having no prior
experience )
any thoughts?

http://www.scsastro.co.uk/it040015.htm
--

It's probably a good deal, and a dob gives the most bang for the buck when it
comes to light gathering, but it may or may not be the right scope for you.

I suggest looking through a few different kinds of scopes before making a
purchase.
Old June 13th 05, 09:53 PM
Mean Mr Mustard

IMO ... An 8" dob is a bad first scope. Big, clumsy, narrow FOV, long
cool down and will most likely need to be collimated after delivery.
Besides an 8" is still too small for most of the DSOs you listed.

Old June 14th 05, 01:07 AM
Llanzlan Klazmon

"Mean Mr Mustard" wrote in
oups.com:

IMO ... An 8" dob is a bad first scope. Big, clumsy, narrow FOV, long
cool down and will most likely need to be collimated after delivery.
Besides an 8" is still too small for most of the DSOs you listed.

Nonsense apart from the collimation bit.

Klazmon.
Old June 14th 05, 07:26 AM
Rrhenko

If you had 500 Pounds at disposal would you buy an etx-90 !
Better spent to have your mind examined.