Washington DC Vacation: What to see?

Old February 19th 05, 03:07 AM
Kevin Willoughby

Default Washington DC Vacation: What to see?

It looks like I'll be visiting Washington DC for spring vacation.

In addition to the obvious (National Air and Space Museum, Udvar-Hazy
Center), what else should a space cadet visit?
--
Kevin Willoughby lid

The loss of the American system of checks and balances
is more of a security danger than any terrorist risk.
-- Bruce Schneier
Old February 19th 05, 04:31 PM
Pat Flannery

Kevin Willoughby wrote:

It looks like I'll be visiting Washington DC for spring vacation.

In addition to the obvious (National Air and Space Museum, Udvar-Hazy
Center), what else should a space cadet visit?

The National Cathedral has that Space Window with the Moon rock in it:
http://www.glass2u.com/mbimages/glas...ages/10168.jpg

Pat
Old February 19th 05, 04:43 PM
Pat Flannery

rk wrote:

I N T E R N A T I O N A L . S P Y . M U S E U M
http://www.spymuseum.org/index.asp

Make sure to ask them if they have an escape and evasion suppository on
hand; also, if the they have a KGB rectal gun lying about. Then ask them
if they'd like to have you donate your "rectal gas bomb" to their
collection. :-)

Pat
Old February 19th 05, 06:23 PM
Rusty

On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 10:31:57 -0600, Pat Flannery
wrote:

Kevin Willoughby wrote:

It looks like I'll be visiting Washington DC for spring vacation.

In addition to the obvious (National Air and Space Museum, Udvar-Hazy
Center), what else should a space cadet visit?

The National Cathedral has that Space Window with the Moon rock in it:
http://www.glass2u.com/mbimages/glas...ages/10168.jpg

Pat

"And above were costly stones, ..." - 1 Kings 7:10

;-)

Rusty

Old February 19th 05, 06:23 PM
Henry Spencer

Kevin Willoughby wrote:
It looks like I'll be visiting Washington DC for spring vacation.
In addition to the obvious (National Air and Space Museum, Udvar-Hazy
Center), what else should a space cadet visit?

The meteorite gallery in the Natural History Museum is interesting, and
has a touchable Mars rock.

The National Zoo is worth a visit in general, although there is nothing
there of particular space-cadet interest.
--
"Think outside the box -- the box isn't our friend." | Henry Spencer
-- George Herbert |
Old February 19th 05, 07:06 PM
Joseph Nebus

Kevin Willoughby writes:

It looks like I'll be visiting Washington DC for spring vacation.

In addition to the obvious (National Air and Space Museum, Udvar-Hazy
Center), what else should a space cadet visit?

Goddard Space Flight Center, in Greenbelt, Maryland. If it's
still like it was five years ago, there's a nice little rocket garden
out back of the Visitors Center, and inside the Visitors Center you
can practically climb on top of Gemini 12 -- and sit inside a (shabby)
Gemini mockup while listening to the ascent audio.

--
Joseph Nebus
Old February 19th 05, 07:38 PM
Pat Flannery

Rusty wrote:

"And above were costly stones, ..." - 1 Kings 7:10

Yeah, the Moon rock would qualify as a "pearl of great price" by any
standards.

Pat
Old February 19th 05, 08:47 PM
Scott Dorsey

rk wrote:
Pat Flannery wrote:

I N T E R N A T I O N A L . S P Y . M U S E U M
http://www.spymuseum.org/index.asp

Make sure to ask them if they have an escape and evasion suppository on
hand; also, if the they have a KGB rectal gun lying about. Then ask them
if they'd like to have you donate your "rectal gas bomb" to their
collection. :-)

Sounds like you are anticipating your hospital physical.

The Spy Museum is extremely commercial. Lots of flashy crap and not all
that much substance. But it is still worth going to, if only to see the
Great Seal with the passive listening device inside.

If you are actually interested in such things, you should spend much more
time at the NSA museum at Ft. Meade. It's small, and not very well organized,
but absolutely worth the trip. Lots of museums have Enigma machines. These
guys have several, but also the machine used to break them.

I am told that the historical electronics museum (formerly the Raytheon
Radar Museum) is still open near the BWI airport. I have not been there
in years but if they still have the WWII German radar system, it's worth
the trip to see that too.
--scott

Old February 19th 05, 10:03 PM
James Nowotarski

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message
..

I am told that the historical electronics museum (formerly the Raytheon
Radar Museum) is still open near the BWI airport.

I beg your pardon - Westinghouse, now sponsored by Northrop Grumman.
Open 10 to 4 on Saturdays, 10-3 weekdays.

http://www.hem-usa.org/

Stop it and look around. We're small, but growing!

-
Jim

Old February 19th 05, 10:09 PM
Henry Spencer

Scott Dorsey wrote:
The Spy Museum is extremely commercial. Lots of flashy crap and not all
that much substance. But it is still worth going to, if only to see the
Great Seal with the passive listening device inside.

There is a lot of glitz, but there's also interesting stuff there if you
look for it, particularly on Cold War espionage and what's known now but
wasn't then.