Quake shifts Japanese coast 8 miles, shifts Earth's axis four inches

Old March 13th 11, 03:16 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Kickin' Ass and Takin' Names[_1_]

Default Quake shifts Japanese coast 8 miles, shifts Earth's axis four inches

Maybe this is why I couldn't find Sirius tonight.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/asiapc...ex.html?hpt=T1

(CNN) -- The powerful earthquake that unleashed a devastating tsunami
Friday appears to have moved the main island of Japan by 8 feet (2.4
meters) and shifted the Earth on its axis.

"At this point, we know that one GPS station moved (8 feet), and we
have seen a map from GSI (Geospatial Information Authority) in Japan
showing the pattern of shift over a large area is consistent with
about that much shift of the land mass," said Kenneth Hudnut, a
geophysicist with the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS).

Reports from the National Institute of Geophysics and Volcanology in
Italy estimated the 8.9-magnitude quake shifted the planet on its axis
by nearly 4 inches (10 centimeters).

Old March 13th 11, 03:40 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Kickin' Ass and Takin' Names[_1_]

On Sat, 12 Mar 2011 22:16:03 -0500, Kickin' Ass and Takin' Names
wrote:

Maybe this is why I couldn't find Sirius tonight.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/asiapc...ex.html?hpt=T1

(CNN) -- The powerful earthquake that unleashed a devastating tsunami
Friday appears to have moved the main island of Japan by 8 feet (2.4
meters) and shifted the Earth on its axis.

"At this point, we know that one GPS station moved (8 feet), and we
have seen a map from GSI (Geospatial Information Authority) in Japan
showing the pattern of shift over a large area is consistent with
about that much shift of the land mass," said Kenneth Hudnut, a
geophysicist with the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS).

Reports from the National Institute of Geophysics and Volcanology in
Italy estimated the 8.9-magnitude quake shifted the planet on its axis
by nearly 4 inches (10 centimeters).

Sorry -- that should say 8 FEET, not 8 MILES.

Feet, miles -- close enough.

Old March 13th 11, 04:37 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
jwarner1

wrote:

Maybe this is why I couldn't find Sirius tonight.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/asiapc...ex.html?hpt=T1

(CNN) -- The powerful earthquake that unleashed a devastating tsunami
Friday appears to have moved the main island of Japan by 8 feet (2.4
meters) and shifted the Earth on its axis.

"At this point, we know that one GPS station moved (8 feet), and we
have seen a map from GSI (Geospatial Information Authority) in Japan
showing the pattern of shift over a large area is consistent with
about that much shift of the land mass," said Kenneth Hudnut, a
geophysicist with the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS).

Reports from the National Institute of Geophysics and Volcanology in
Italy estimated the 8.9-magnitude quake shifted the planet on its axis
by nearly 4 inches (10 centimeters).

Sorry -- that should say 8 FEET, not 8 MILES.

Feet, miles -- close enough.

a little late ... !

all of our staff are accounted for however the rest is beyond words .

Old March 13th 11, 05:06 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Davoud[_1_]

Kickin' Ass and Takin' Names
Sorry -- that should say 8 FEET, not 8 MILES.

Thank goodness. That ORD-NRT non-stop is miserable enough without
moving NRT eight miles farther away!

Feet, miles -- close enough.

This illustrates why I argue for a single standard--the furlong.

Davoud

you will say in your entire life.

usenet *at* davidillig dawt cawm
Old March 13th 11, 07:25 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris.B[_2_]

The Clown of Libya must be delighted to have fallen off the news
headlines for a while as he carries out the genocide of his own
people. Nobody was going to do anything to protect the people anyway.
Our limp-wristed leaders are completely hamstrung by weakness and
indecision. Shove a cruise missile down the stove pipe of his circus
tent and see how he likes being bombarded!

If they capture the clown he will enjoy several years defending
himself in the courts before being sentenced to a life of obscene
luxury. Small people can die in their millions and nobody in power
gives a damn. Least of all our own "leaders" in the West. Leaders
always get every care in the world. They are completely inviolable
regardless of their crimes against humanity.

And why? Because every rotten apple in the barrel knows that taking
out one leader would place them at all risk of the same fate. So they
can behave atrociously knowing that every other rotten apple will
continue to trade with them. Supply them with the arms and tools they
need to mistreat their own people. All the while enjoying the
billionaire's lifestyle at the UN, at home and abroad on official
visits. Always knowing they are completely safe from real sanctions
thanks to the next rotten apple using his veto. Or supplying each
other under the counter.

Every terrorist is earned by our leader's own inactions. If the people
can't get revenge on their own leaders they can always attack
civilians elsewhere. Civilians are just numbers. Easy targets. Not
real casualties. They don't count, at all, in the grand scheme of
things.
Old March 13th 11, 11:01 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Cleirach

wrote:

Maybe this is why I couldn't find Sirius tonight.

Just wait for the fog in your head to disperse
Old March 13th 11, 07:38 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Davoud[_1_]

Chris.B:
...genocide
...Shove a cruise missile
...Small people can die in their millions
...crimes against humanity.

...every rotten apple

...terrorist
...revenge

I'm sure that everything you said is true (see my sig), but in spite of
the unfathomable human tragedy in Japan and all that you said, there
are some positive things happening in the world. Winter is ending. Time
to brighten up a bit, no?

To help you get started, my wife and I have just in the past half hour
made this /especially/ for you and yours.
http://www.primordial-light.com/onefordenmark.html. Enjoy.

Old March 13th 11, 08:59 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris.B[_2_]

On 13 Mar., 20:38, Davoud wrote:

I'm sure that everything you said is true (see my sig), but in spite of
the unfathomable human tragedy in Japan and all that you said, there
are some positive things happening in the world. Winter is ending. Time
to brighten up a bit, no?

To help you get started, my wife and I have just in the past half hour
made this /especially/ for you and yours.
http://www.primordial-light.com/onefordenmark.html. Enjoy.

Davoud

Aah. Thank you for the crocus. It's perfect! :-)

We suddenly have an explosion of Winter aconites and Snowdrops over
here. Too early for crocuses. We had a heatwave of ~10C, 40F today!
Our permafrosted lawn and drive have turned to mush. sigh I needed
Wellington boots just to cross the yard! Grr! Damned spring!!! ;-)))
Old March 14th 11, 05:47 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris.B[_2_]

Old March 14th 11, 08:15 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Dr J R Stockton[_105_]

In sci.astro.amateur message , Sun, 13
Mar 2011 00:06:42, Davoud posted:

Kickin' Ass and Takin' Names
Sorry -- that should say 8 FEET, not 8 MILES.

Thank goodness. That ORD-NRT non-stop is miserable enough without
moving NRT eight miles farther away!

Feet, miles -- close enough.

This illustrates why I argue for a single standard--the furlong.

No, the light pico-fortnight is within 1% of 400 yards, which can be
imagined as about the length of sixteen cricket-pitches.

--
(c) John Stockton, Surrey, UK. Turnpike v6.05 MIME.
Web http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/ - FAQish topics, acronyms, & links.