Magnetic lines of force

Old September 29th 03, 12:25 PM
Eric Crew

Default Magnetic lines of force

In article , OG
writes

"Eric Crew" wrote in message
George Dishman writes
Hello Eric,
As you allude to above, Kortvelyessy's ideas require that there
be a constant current flowing from the Sun into space of 10^14A
(see page 21 of the book). The outer surface of the Sun is
undoubdetedly conductive and despite Kortvelyessy's claim that
the inner layers are non-conducting, it can be modelled as an
isolated conductive sphere. The capaciatance is 7.8*10^-2 Farad.
The supposed unbalanced current would result in the potential of
the surface of the Sun rising linearly at over 10^15 V/s.
Clearly such an imbalance cannot be sustained since the kinetic
energy of electrons in the solar wind is only of the order of 1eV.
As you know I asked many times how Kortvelyessy explains why the
electrons are not accelerated back towards the Sun by this rising
potential but it remains unanswered.

"Eric Crew" replied
I "alluded" to Kortvelyessy because he seems to me to offer a far more
rational explanation of solar characteristics than the magnetic rubber
band ideas.

Snip
I remind you again that I started this thread hoping to encourage a
discussion about "magnetic lines of force". Are they real, like rubber
bands, or just a mathematical concept as Faraday intended? As far as I
know, no-one has suggested there are lines of electrical force between
opposite charges acting like rubber bands. If this is correct, I wonder
what is the reason for the difference between magnetic and electrical
"lines of force"?
--
Eric Crew

In this case the thread seems to have deviated from a reasonable question on
the nature of 'magentic lines of force'.

However it'll be interesting to explore the question a bit more. It seems
that you think that magnetic fields don't exist on the sun. Is that right?

Of course it's not right. There is plenty of evidence for magnetic
fields associated with the Sun. However I do not accept the idea that
there is some kind of dynamo inside the Sun producing powerful magnetic
fields.
Magnetic fields are produced by electrical discharge currents.
A more rational theory is described in
http://www.brox1.demon.co.uk/sun2.htm
--
Eric Crew