2001 format

Old September 6th 03, 02:41 AM
CP__J

Default 2001 format

JNICHOLS wrote:

On the Aries 1B lunar transfer ship, why do does the landing gear retract??
Wouldn't the retraction gear be just dead weight?

If you enjoy nit picking, you should get the DVD of "Destroy All
Monsters" (released 1968, set in 1999).

C.
Old September 6th 03, 04:22 PM
JNICHOLS

"CP__J" wrote in message
JNICHOLS wrote:

If you enjoy nit picking, you should get the DVD of "Destroy All
Monsters" (released 1968, set in 1999).

C.

Not if Peter Hyams directed it! I don't want to see John Lithgow
hyperventilating again.

Old September 6th 03, 07:35 PM
OM

On Sat, 06 Sep 2003 15:22:00 GMT, "JNICHOLS"
wrote:

"CP__J" wrote in message
JNICHOLS wrote:

If you enjoy nit picking, you should get the DVD of "Destroy All
Monsters" (released 1968, set in 1999).

Not if Peter Hyams directed it! I don't want to see John Lithgow
hyperventilating again.

....Can't happen. Gamera is owned by a different company, so Lithgow
couldn't appear in "Destroy All Monsters" alongside Godzilla.

OM

- General George S. Patton, Jr
Old September 7th 03, 06:49 AM
Ed

"JNICHOLS" wrote in
:

On the Aries 1B lunar transfer ship, why do does the landing gear
retract?? Wouldn't the retraction gear be just dead weight?

What about the stewardess' headgear? Talk about dead weight.

Later
Old September 7th 03, 11:40 AM
OM

On Sun, 07 Sep 2003 05:49:47 GMT, Ed wrote:

What about the stewardess' headgear? Talk about dead weight.

....Yes and no. At the time, it was actually considered practical due
to the fact that most women wore their hair long, and the desire was
to keep the hair subdued and eliminate problems that might occur
should free-floating hairstyles get caught in anything. However, as
we've seen numerous times since Sally Ride and Svetlana Yevgenyevna
Savitskaya took their first flights, we've seen that that having hair
beyond that of the typical test pilot buzzcut was not anywhere near as
significant a hazard as feared back in 1964, when "2001" was in the
pre=production stages and this particular scene was being
storyboarded.

....Of course, knowing what we know now about spaceflight and the
extraatmospheric environment, the really big question would be how
"2001" would differ from Kubrick's original envisioning were he alive
to film it today. Granted, I and quite a few others have argued that
Brian DePalma did this already with "Mission to Mars", but that was a
ripoff *and* a hack job to boot, and something DePalma wouldn't have
had the balls to try and foist on audiences had Kubrick not been dead.

OM

- General George S. Patton, Jr

Metric on Mars Markus Kuhn Policy 432 June 10th 04 11:20 PM
Jonathan's Space Report, No. 523 Jacques van Oene Space Shuttle 0 April 9th 04 02:07 PM
Big Steve's NG Poll: is another Moon mission a good idea? Doug Ellison Policy 90 December 13th 03 09:22 AM
Space Calendar - July 24, 2003 Ron Baalke History 0 July 24th 03 11:26 PM