In the Shadow of the Moon

Old June 14th 07, 04:07 PM posted to sci.space.history
BradGuth

Default In the Shadow of the Moon

On Jun 13, 7:05 pm, Kevin Willoughby
wrote:
http://www.seattlefilm.org/festival/...d=23473&fid=32

Anyone seen this film? Is it worth the time to watch it?
--
Kevin Willoughby

Kansas City, this was Air Force One. Will you change
our call sign to SAM 27000? -- Col. Ralph Albertazzie

http://www.usenet.com

If you're talking about cooling off mother Earth by way of placing our
moon into Earth's L1, then we're all saved by the bell (sort of
speak).

If you're talking about NASA/Apollo crapolla, then you're a damn liar.

Controlling the past is the one and only alternative for the likes of
our MI/NSA~NASA.
-
"whoever controls the past, controls the future" / George Orwell
-
Brad Guth

Old June 15th 07, 09:51 PM posted to sci.space.history
Damien Valentine

On Jun 14, 8:07 am, BradGuth wrote:
If you're talking about cooling off mother Earth by way of placing our
moon into Earth's L1, then we're all saved by the bell (sort of
speak)...
Brad Guth

Aren't the Lagrange points places of orbital stability between _two_
bodies? How can you move the Moon into L1 when it helps define where
the L1 point is in the first place?

Old June 15th 07, 10:01 PM posted to sci.space.history
Rand Simberg[_1_]

On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 20:51:52 -0000, in a place far, far away, Damien
Valentine made the phosphor on my monitor glow in
such a way as to indicate that:

On Jun 14, 8:07 am, BradGuth wrote:
If you're talking about cooling off mother Earth by way of placing our
moon into Earth's L1, then we're all saved by the bell (sort of
speak)...
Brad Guth

Aren't the Lagrange points places of orbital stability between _two_
bodies? How can you move the Moon into L1 when it helps define where
the L1 point is in the first place?

You can't. Guth is nuts. Please killfile him, as most of us have, so
we don't have to killfile you.
Old June 15th 07, 11:26 PM posted to sci.space.history
BradGuth

On Jun 15, 1:51 pm, Damien Valentine wrote:
On Jun 14, 8:07 am, BradGuth wrote:

If you're talking about cooling off mother Earth by way of placing our
moon into Earth's L1, then we're all saved by the bell (sort of
speak)...
BradGuth

Aren't the Lagrange points places of orbital stability between _two_
bodies?

Yes

How can you move the Moon into L1 when it helps define where
the L1 point is in the first place?

Moving our moom from its existing orbit to orbiting instead at Earth's
L1 (roughly 4X the current distance), is not going to significantly
alter Earth's L1. But, even if it did, so what?

Besides, we have the fully interactive 3D simulators that's tell us
exactly what'll happen within +/- one meter.

BTW of many positive considerations, the moon's L1/Lagrange with
Earth (obviously situated between Earth and the moon) gets really
interesting once having that 7.35e22 kg mascon worth of such nifty
solar isolation relocated out to Earth's L1. Once again, those
absolutely nifty orbital simulators are telling us exactly what'll
happen, as in no ifs, ands or buts about it.
-
Brad Guth

Old June 15th 07, 11:29 PM posted to sci.space.history
BradGuth

On Jun 15, 2:01 pm, (Rand Simberg)
wrote:

You can't. Guth is nuts. Please killfile him, as most of us have, so
we don't have to killfile you.

Is that your best Zion damage-control tactic? (killfile), or are you
still trying to control the past of your kind being Third Reich
associated?
-

Old June 16th 07, 04:03 AM posted to sci.space.history
Steve Vernon

"Damien Valentine" wrote in message
oups.com...

Aren't the Lagrange points places of orbital stability between _two_
bodies? How can you move the Moon into L1 when it helps define where
the L1 point is in the first place?

If the Moon were to be moved to the "Earth-Sun L1 point" I don't know
if it would stay there. Doesn't the stability require M1M2 and M2M3?
Is the moon small enough in mass to stay between the Earth and Sun?

Old June 16th 07, 06:53 AM posted to sci.space.history
Henry Spencer

In article ,
Steve Vernon wrote:
If the Moon were to be moved to the "Earth-Sun L1 point" I don't know
if it would stay there. Doesn't the stability require M1M2 and M2M3?
Is the moon small enough in mass to stay between the Earth and Sun?

The Moon's mass is only about 1/80th the mass of the Earth, so it's
negligible for many orbital-dynamics purposes. (For example, it's so
small and moves so fast that you can't get useful intuition about the
behavior of orbits in the Earth-Moon system by imagining that the Moon is
motionless -- just ignoring its effects entirely is more accurate than
ignoring its motion.)

*However*, an L1 point is not a stable parking place, regardless of mass.
(To be precise, as I recall, it is stable in two dimensions but unstable
in the third.) Objects can stay in its vicinity only with regular orbit
corrections -- not big corrections, if you do things right, but you do
need some.

The L4 and L5 points, aka "Trojan" points -- 60 degrees ahead of and
behind (e.g.) Earth in its orbit around the Sun -- *are* stable, if
perturbations from other bodies are negligible (not always a safe
assumption). But L1, L2, and L3, the "in-line" points, are not.
Old June 17th 07, 06:42 PM posted to sci.space.history
BradGuth

On Jun 15, 8:03 pm, "Steve Vernon" wrote:
"Damien Valentine" wrote in message

oups.com...

Aren't the Lagrange points places of orbital stability between _two_
bodies? How can you move the Moon into L1 when it helps define where
the L1 point is in the first place?

If the Moon were to be moved to the "Earth-Sun L1 point" I don't know
if it would stay there. Doesn't the stability require M1M2 and M2M3?
Is the moon small enough in mass to stay between the Earth and Sun?

I never suggested a purely passive Earth L1 orbit.

I'd mentioned interactive tethers, each with their CM/ISS of mass
that's also interactive in order to contend with orbital logistics,
which should more than contribute as to interactively keeping that
pesky moon of ours parked sufficiently within Earth's L1.
-
Brad Guth

Old June 17th 07, 06:46 PM posted to sci.space.history
BradGuth

On Jun 15, 10:53 pm, (Henry Spencer) wrote:

*However*, an L1 point is not a stable parking place, regardless of mass.
(To be precise, as I recall, it is stable in two dimensions but unstable
in the third.) Objects can stay in its vicinity only with regular orbit
corrections -- not big corrections, if you do things right, but you do
need some.

I agree, as I always have. Now then, how your about putting that
fully interactive 3D orbital simulator to work? (or is that another
taboo?)
-
Brad Guth