Princeton Paleontologist Produces Evidence For New Theory On Dinosaur Extinction

Old September 27th 03, 06:40 PM
Mircea

Default Princeton Paleontologist Produces Evidence For New Theory On Dinosaur Extinction

On Fri, 26 Sep 2003 13:21:21 GMT, "James F. Cornwall"
wrote:

If she found undisturbed strata directly above the fallout layer, what is
your interpretation? Please note, she didn't make a conclusion, she only
stated that it *suggested* that "no tsunami waves or other major
disturbances" occurred. It is her interpretation of the data, which she, as
author of the report, is entitled to do. If you think she is wrong, by all
means, go out there and collect the data, and prove her wrong. That's what
science is all about, is it not?

The way I look at it, the tsunamis generated by the impact could easily
have washed their way around the world and done their work of disturbing
the sediments *before* the fallout made it back down into the atmosphere
and thru the water down to the seafloor. Plus, you're not going to have
sediments disturbed in deep enough water (no, I don't know what the
exact depth would be) even by a really *BIG* tsunami. Hence no
disturbances in the sediments above or below the fallout layer.

There are models that suggest the Chicxulub impact would have
generated a tsunami wave 100 to 150 meter high, having a wavelength of
over 200 km, and traveling at more than 700 km/hour. Such a wave would
have "feel" the bottom eroding and moving sediments at any ocean
depths shallower than 10 km. And yet, K-T tsunami deposits have been
interpreted only from the Gulf of Mexico. Some say it might have
something to do with the physiography of the impact area at the K-T
time: impact on a shallow shelf rimmed by a reef barrier, and then,
the Gulf itself, bounded by land, shallow carbonate platforms, and
volcanic island arcs.

Regards,

Mircea
Old September 28th 03, 04:52 AM
J. F. Cornwall

wrote:

[...]

No arguments there, but again we have "... suggests that ..." which
leaves a lot of room for discussion/argument/further work. Which was my
point in this discussion. :-)

Jim

Old September 28th 03, 06:02 AM
Elaine Nugent

Default Princeton Paleontologist Produces Evidence For New Theory On...

Can we disagree without calling each other names?..I'm not a scientist -
but it makes sense that the dinosaurs did not disappear because of one
Asteroid..

*~Lainie~The StarGazer~*

http://community.webtv.net/LAINIE121/doc

Old September 28th 03, 06:44 AM
toadmonkey

On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 10:23:00 -0500, Mircea wrote:

In detail, the K-T boundary does not show a perfect picture of K
strata overlain by *one* Ir-, Pd-, and spherule-rich impact layer,
which, in turn, underlies T strata. More often than not, the boundary
includes several layers with impact- and/or ejecta-related
signatures, whose age is not always well constrained.

-snip
Regards,

Mircea

Which explains why most geopubs involving the K/T boundary refer to it as an
unconfomity.

At least the pubs I used to have.
TM

--
Toadmonkey: "Now now. Brain popping and world crashing may be hazardous to ones perception of reality.
Very dangerous business that can lead to madness or something worse for some, truth."

Remove "3+4" from addy before replying

Old September 28th 03, 03:43 PM
Chosp

Default are dinosaurs extinct? really?

"gravity jones" wrote in message

a bee or a flea the size of an elephant or twice the size of an elephant
is not going to jump or fly like a bea or a flea?

Correct. Not only could they not jump or fly - but they wouldn't be able to
stand or move at all. Nor could they respire.

rember those slow motion stop animation dinos? well in some ways that
does seem to make some sense. How long is a moment?

Meaningless.

I know for a fact that a moment on jupiter is quite a bit different than
an earth moment. Just clock some of the observed winds on the planet's
surface verses the slower motion cloulds on earth. I mean slow motion.
the maxium wind clocked on earth is at most 300 mph verses 120000 mph on
jupiter.

You made that 120,000 mph figure up.

Does Jupiter even have miles?

How could it not? Miles are an arbitrary measure of length.
That measure would apply anywhere.

how and why would earth hours
apply on jupiter?

Why would't they?

I know ive got apples and oranges here in my argument. I dont want to

be clear becasue I do not suggest to know what happened to the
dinosaurs. I get the sense that OJ's dream team might have done a
better job defending a few dinosaur extinction theories than the big
Orange juice himself.

They weren't remotely interested in the truth.

That makes me wonder about the science involved.
If lawyers profess to understand what thier expert witnesses are saying
its suspect.

maybe we should bring the whole case of dinausaur extinctions to court.

What would that accomplish?

There

The Thermodynamic Cause of Gravity:
Site Below is due for update and removal of mistakes:

http://www.webspawner.com/users/gravity/index.html

Your site has too many errors to bother to correct.

Pres. Kerry's NASA ed kyle Policy 354 March 11th 04 07:05 PM
Princeton Paleontologist Produces Evidence For New Theory On Dinosaur Extinction Ron Baalke Science 0 September 25th 03 06:13 PM
"The Eagle has landed" NOT! Mark McIntyre Astronomy Misc 1 August 16th 03 02:08 AM
Hypothetical astrophysics question Matthew F Funke Astronomy Misc 39 August 11th 03 03:21 AM