need tripod, I think

Old August 10th 03, 04:56 AM
Phyloe

Default need tripod, I think

I have some large binoculars, Orion 10 x 70 MC Enhanced Giant, and they
are just too large to hold steady. I need a tripod I think. I was looking at
a small table top set up but thought I might be able to find a good used one
here. My main problem aside from the steady thing is that I am 6'6" and
tripods will not get the binoculars high enough for me when I am standing. I
had a camera tripod and placed it on the trunk of my car but it was too
wobbly for these 10x 70's. I decided that someone here may have an idea for
me. I plan to go look at Mars next weekend. Is there something more
effective I could build? I am handy with tools and could fabricate most
anything in my shop short of machine work or welding. TIA
Scott

--
If the countryside seems boring, stop, get off your bike, and go sit in
the ditch long enough to appreciate what was here before the asphalt

Old August 10th 03, 07:36 AM
Stephen Tonkin

Phyloe wrote:
My main problem aside from the steady thing is that I am 6'6" and
tripods will not get the binoculars high enough for me when I am
standing.

Try a Manfrotto 075. Legs are 180cm, with the pillar extended you have
50cm from leg top to top of (#029) head, then you have the L-bracket on
top of that. Obviously you lose a bit of height when you spread the
legs, but you should still manage. But there may be better options.

Is there something more effective I could build?

Oh yes.

Low-tech: A broom with an extended handle. It's amazing just how good a
monopod is. (Try it with an ordinary broom)

High-tech: Parallelogram mount on a decent (e.g. surveyors') tripod.
Graham Wood's one is excellent (I have used it) -- see:
http://www.gcw.org.uk/
Or (shameless self-promotion) see Scott Wilson's one in my ATM book (get
it from a library if you don't want to buy it), which I think is even
better than Graham's (Graham can tell you why I'm wrong g)

Best,
Stephen

--
+ Stephen Tonkin | ATM Resources; Astro-Tutorials; Astro Books +