Good Messiers at the moment

Old August 9th 03, 11:45 AM
Darrell M

Default Good Messiers at the moment

After a couple of late nights looking at Mars with the LX90, decided
to have an early night, but still couldn't resist getting the scope
out for a quick session....and turned out to be one of the best nights
viewing this year.

With all the interest in Mars at the moment I hadn't bothered looking
at anything else recently, so decided to concentrate on some Messiers
- M13, M15, M92. The Wild Duck Cluster M11 was a bit of a challenge,
too much atmospheric pollution, but the Ring Nebula M57 was the
highlight of the night, hadn't seen it since last autumn and it was
much clearer than I expected, though still challenging. Finally spend
a while hooking up a new digital camera and getting some shots of the
blood-red moon.

So get those scopes out early and have a look around before Mars comes
up, you may be surprised at what's up there at the moment.

Darrell
www.fatcat.clara.co.uk/astro/

Old August 9th 03, 01:24 PM
Ron Atkin

I agree Darrell, especially The Ring Nebula and of course not forgetting the
Dumbbell Nebula both of which look even more outstanding through a Lumicon
UHC filter.
--
Ron Atkin
Peterborough. UK.

Old August 9th 03, 05:42 PM
Morgoth

On Sat, 9 Aug 2003 13:24:24 +0100, "Ron Atkin"
inscribed in blood upon a parchment:

I agree Darrell, especially The Ring Nebula and of course not forgetting the
Dumbbell Nebula both of which look even more outstanding through a Lumicon
UHC filter.

Even better, M22, if you have a decent southern horizon.

Best,
Dave
Author of the Supernovae and Supernova Remnants FAQ
http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/supernova/
Visions of Light, Visions of Darkness - B&W Photography of Wessex
http://www.valinor.freeserve.co.uk/visions.html