High altitude lights

Old August 24th 06, 08:35 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
John Kirkland

Default High altitude lights

Hello, all.

A few weeks ago, in the middle of the afternoon (14:00ish, ISTR), I noticed
what (to me) appeared to be a couple of stars in the sky. They seemed to be
stationary. Visible below them were a couple of airliners, which leads
leads me to believe the "stars" were at a vary high altitude. I was unable
to observe them for lomg, mostly because of broken cloud, and the need to
be going elsewhere at the time!

The only conclusion I can reach is that they were man made satellites of
such a size or albedo that the light reflected made them visible in full
daylight. Any satellites I've seen previously have been at night, and to
the naked eye, relatively faint. I suppose the other option is that they
were aircraft at a very, very high altitude.

Can anyone shed any light on this, perhaps?

Thank you.

--
John Kirkland
Old August 24th 06, 01:32 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Alighieri, Dante

On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 08:35:03 +0100, John Kirkland
wrote:

:-)= Hello, all.
:-)=
[...]

One time at night I observed a high altitude stationary light where no
star should have been. I was able to observe the light continously
for an extended period of time. suddenly the light moved north at a
high rate of speed. This, IMHO, ruled out star, meteorite, and
satellite. I have never seen a "UFO". At lower altitudes I have seen
similar lights. The souces appeared larger, being at low altitude, and
when the light changed direction and came closer it became obvious
that this was a commercial aircraft on an approach to an aircraft
traffic lane that is a "tunnel" on the flight maps over a large city
with heavy air traffic. If the aircraft were at a high altitude such
as 50,000 feet instead of 15,000 feet it could have created what I
observed in the first sentence. The aircraft would have been
travelling straight towards my viewpoint and changed direction. The
rate of travel, angular velocity converted into linear for an altitude
of 50,000 feet was too fast for conventional aircraft.

I did observe a different light many years ago that travelled across
the sky for about 10 degress. Similarly calculating speed gave a
velocity above conventional aircraft. Several years later when the
US's SR-71 was declassified, in part, it became the only known
aircraft that would match what I saw. My sighting was at a time when
several U. S. Airforce pilots at max altitude and mach reported an
aircraft passed way above them at a consideratley higher velocity.
The linear velocity of what I saw would match the SR-71 at an altitude
above 50,000 feet.

The U.S. Air Force would tell you that you observed weather balloons.

HTH

Dante