The return of Buran?

Old April 14th 09, 10:34 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

Default The return of Buran?

Yeah... and commie monkeys are going to come flying out of my ass while
singing the "Internationale":
http://www.russiatoday.com/Art_and_F...FR7yDAod3WHRSQ

Patsky
Old April 15th 09, 12:59 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Alan Erskine[_2_]

"Pat Flannery" wrote in message
dakotatelephone...
Yeah... and commie monkeys are going to come flying out of my ass while
singing the "Internationale":

That'll make your eyes bulge! ;-)

Old April 15th 09, 02:42 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Quadibloc

What I noticed from the articles is that the Russians apparently
invented Teflon!

Or perhaps they *did* come up with a new, improved material found in
Russian deep fryers. Clearly, our scientists will have to study them
carefully!

John Savard
Old April 15th 09, 06:25 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Andre Lieven[_3_]

On Apr 14, 5:34*am, Pat Flannery wrote:
Yeah... and commie monkeys are going to come flying out of my ass while
singing the "Internationale":
http://www.russiatoday.com/Art_and_F...t_space_shuttl...

Patsky

The sheer volume of bat**** crazy that is included in that article is
breathtaking.

Magomet Talboev:
“The Energia-Buran programme was started to get the capability to
attack
the United States, just like the shuttle was able to attack the
USSR."

This mook has never heard of ICBMs, SLBMs, and bombers ? Wow.

"We also wanted to take the Skylab space station from orbit. Buran
was
supposed to put it in its cargo bay and deliver it back to Earth for
studies,”

That'd be a pretty neat trick, since Skylab burned up nine YEARS
before the first (And only) unmanned Buran flight happened.

Perhaps lunatic Talboev would also like to have used Buran to recover
Apollo 13's LM, too...

-Because NASA will soon retire its ageing space shuttle fleet, some
American and Russian scientists are beginning to think of ways to
revive
the Buran programme.-

Brad Guth is NOT "an American scientist." :-)

The sidebar article also has a Soviet era class lie in it:

-The Energia booster flew only twice – in May of 1987 when it
delivered
a satellite into orbit – and a year later when it circled the earth
with the
Buran spacecraft.-

Polyus FAILED to go into orbit. Duh.

Andre

Andre
Old April 15th 09, 07:20 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

Quadibloc wrote:
What I noticed from the articles is that the Russians apparently
invented Teflon!

They got it off of the Tunguska UFO crash.

Or perhaps they *did* come up with a new, improved material found in
Russian deep fryers. Clearly, our scientists will have to study them
carefully!

Behold the Energia Vacuum Cleaner:
http://www.energia.ru/eng/conversion...g/catalog.html
Its motto: "This things sucks like space". ;-)

Pat
Old April 15th 09, 04:00 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Quadibloc

On Apr 14, 11:25*pm, Andre Lieven wrote:

Magomet Talboev:
“The Energia-Buran programme was started to get the capability to
attack
the United States, just like the shuttle was able to attack the
USSR."

This mook has never heard of ICBMs, SLBMs, and bombers ? Wow.

It is generally agreed that the design of the Space Shuttle by the
U.S. was very much constrained by intended military applications, so I
don't see that a statement - even if perhaps awkwardly phrased - to
the effect that the Buran program had military motivations is wild and
crazy.

John Savard
Old April 15th 09, 04:32 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Derek Lyons

Andre Lieven wrote:

On Apr 14, 5:34*am, Pat Flannery wrote:
Yeah... and commie monkeys are going to come flying out of my ass while
singing the "Internationale":
http://www.russiatoday.com/Art_and_F...t_space_shuttl...

Patsky

The sheer volume of bat**** crazy that is included in that article is
breathtaking.

The sidebar article also has a Soviet era class lie in it:

Oh indeed... The ones on their submarines are true classics... One
implies that the (SSBN) two crew system was *recently* created so the
(agressive/evil) Americans can make ten times as many SSBN patrols as
the patriotic and peace loving Russians who leave their SSBNs in port.

D.
--
Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.

http://derekl1963.livejournal.com/

Oct 5th, 2004 JDL
Old April 15th 09, 04:33 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Derek Lyons

Quadibloc wrote:

On Apr 14, 11:25*pm, Andre Lieven wrote:

Magomet Talboev:
“The Energia-Buran programme was started to get the capability to
attack the United States, just like the shuttle was able to attack the
USSR."

This mook has never heard of ICBMs, SLBMs, and bombers ? Wow.

It is generally agreed that the design of the Space Shuttle by the
U.S. was very much constrained by intended military applications,

As has been said multiple times - that "everyone knows" something does
not create that something as fact.

so I don't see that a statement - even if perhaps awkwardly phrased - to
the effect that the Buran program had military motivations is wild and
crazy.

Did you read the same article everyone else did?

D.

Old April 15th 09, 04:36 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Fred J. McCall[_3_]

:
: Magomet Talboev:
: “The Energia-Buran programme was started to get the capability to
: attack
: the United States, just like the shuttle was able to attack the
: USSR."
:
: This mook has never heard of ICBMs, SLBMs, and bombers ? Wow.
:
:It is generally agreed that the design of the Space Shuttle by the
:U.S. was very much constrained by intended military applications,
:

Which was 'putting up satellites', not to "attack" anyone.

:
:... so I
:don't see that a statement - even if perhaps awkwardly phrased - to
:the effect that the Buran program had military motivations is wild and
:crazy.
:

There is 'awkwardly phrased' and there is 'outright bonkers'. The
statement in question falls into the latter category.

territory."
--G. Behn
Old April 15th 09, 05:51 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Andre Lieven[_3_]

On Apr 15, 11:00*am, Quadibloc wrote:
On Apr 14, 11:25*pm, Andre Lieven wrote:

Magomet Talboev:
“The Energia-Buran programme was started to get the capability to
attack the United States, just like the shuttle was able to attack the
USSR."

This mook has never heard of ICBMs, SLBMs, and bombers ? Wow.

It is generally agreed that the design of the Space Shuttle by the
U.S. was very much constrained by intended military applications, so I
don't see that a statement - even if perhaps awkwardly phrased - to
the effect that the Buran program had military motivations is wild
and crazy.

I am speaking of the specific quote: "just like the shuttle was ABLE
TO ATTACK THE USSR."

That might have been a barely tenable view during the late Brezhnev
era, by morons, but post the 1990s, it IS bat**** crazy.

"Russian officials were concerned about a perceived ability of the US
Space Shuttle to make a sudden dive into the atmosphere to drop
bombs on Moscow, despite the fact that such a scenario was
physically impossible.[2]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buran_program

The footnote for this item [2] is:

"Years after a sceptical Pentagon had given up on the shuttle, even
as a delivery truck for spy satellites, the Russian officials
continued
whispering to journalists that the US orbiter had a secret capability
-
to make an undetected "dive" into the Earth's atmosphere and
suddenly glide over Moscow dropping nuclear bombs.

Never mind that such a scenario was not supported by physics or
by common sense."

And, the part of using Buran to grab Skylab would require a TARDIS
with a BIG honkin' door...

"The first suborbital test flight of a scale-model (BOR-5) took
place as early as July 1983."

Same Wikipedia source, and that's four years AFTER Skylab came
down. So, the claim that Buran had been made with any intent, or
that such an intent came along as a bonus, to snag Skylab is
illiterate idiocy.

Andre