Good-bye

Old December 26th 17, 06:50 PM
WA0CKY WA0CKY is offline
Senior Member

Default Good-bye

After this site has constantly deleted my posts and NEVER NEVER NEVER replied to my requests as to why they are deleting them I quit using this site a while back. Not as far back as the last post, you see and the last one was deleted as well. I expect this one to be deleted as well.

Those following me can still find the posts on Cloudy Nights, CCD/CMOS Astro Camera Imaging & Processing form https://www.cloudynights.com/forum/7...ng-processing/ They don't delete my posts but don't echo to USENET. Unlike most other astronomy forums you can see the images without joining but must join to reply. I'm working on getting my entire collection of 1500+ images online. A super herculean task but hope to have something going soon. I'll announce that on the Cloudy Nights forum mentioned above.

Rick
Old December 27th 17, 10:02 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Mandy Liefbowitz

On Tue, 26 Dec 2017 17:50:55 +0000, WA0CKY
wrote:

After this site

Which site?

I'm reading your messages through the Usenet newsgroup. Will I still
be seeing them? If not, then there's probably no reason for me to
bother with Usenet anymore.

has constantly deleted my posts and NEVER NEVER NEVER
replied to my requests as to why they are deleting them I quit using
this site a while back. Not as far back as the last post, you see and
the last one was deleted as well. I expect this one to be deleted as
well.

Those following me can still find the posts on Cloudy Nights, CCD/CMOS
Astro Camera Imaging & Processing form http://tinyurl.com/ya4x473b

Nope. Websites are too much like hard work. If that is your only
dumpsite and if you aren't echoing to Usenet, then g'bye.

They
don't delete my posts but don't echo to USENET. Unlike most other
astronomy forums you can see the images without joining but must join to
reply. I'm working on getting my entire collection of 1500+ images
online. A super herculean task but hope to have something going soon.
I'll announce that on the Cloudy Nights forum mentioned above.

I'd be sorry to see you go from Usenet, but all things seem to end.
Thank you for all of the pretties.
Mand.

Rick

Old December 28th 17, 09:16 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Anders Eklöf

Hey Rick

What do you mean by "this site"?
Usenet is not a site. it's a global network of sorts.
And usenet doesn't delete your posts. Easynews certainly doesn't.
(i see uou post throu Easynews)

Just for a test I just retreived your post of the Necklace from
2011-08-12 (your first?) - from Easynews.
How is that even possible if your posts get deleted?

Usenet service providers (USPs) practise retention on large groups,
Because of the sheer volume of binary groups in general, they either
expire posts after some given time limit - at most 1-2 years, like
Easynews, often much less - or put a volume cap on the largest groups,
or a combination. Most serious USPs apply different limits on different
groups. This group seems unaffected by any limit.
However, I don't see any posts in the group on their web interface.

As for this group, my USP has retained posts as far back as August,
2008, including 530 of your posts over the last 6+ years. Is anything
missing?

Makes me wonder who you have been asking. Your USP?
They should have been able to give an answer similar to the above.

CCD/CMOSAstro Camera Imaging & Processing form http://tinyurl.com/ya4x473b
Theydon't delete my posts but don't echo to USENET. Unlike most
otherastronomy forums you can see the images without joining but must join
toreply. I'm working on getting my entire collection of 1500+
imagesonline. A super herculean task but hope to have something going
soon. I'll announce that on the Cloudy Nights forum mentioned above.

Rick-- WA0CKY

--
I recommend Macs to my friends, and Windows machines
to those whom I don't mind billing by the hour
Old December 28th 17, 09:26 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Anders Eklöf

Anders Eklöf wrote:

However, I don't see any posts in the group on their web interface.

Which, BTW, I think is because you use uuencode for your binaries, and
Easynews probably only decodes yenc to the web interface.

That may be why you don't see your posts. You should see them with Agent
(mark the group as unread, that's is what I did).

Old December 31st 17, 07:28 PM
slilge slilge is offline
Senior Member

Rick,

so I'll visit the cloudy nights CCD forum more often now.
I guess newsgroups are a bit of a prehistoric thing by now...

Stefan

Quote:
Originally Posted by WA0CKY View Post
After this site has constantly deleted my posts and NEVER NEVER NEVER replied to my requests as to why they are deleting them I quit using this site a while back. Not as far back as the last post, you see and the last one was deleted as well. I expect this one to be deleted as well.

Those following me can still find the posts on Cloudy Nights, CCD/CMOS Astro Camera Imaging & Processing form https://www.cloudynights.com/forum/7...ng-processing/ They don't delete my posts but don't echo to USENET. Unlike most other astronomy forums you can see the images without joining but must join to reply. I'm working on getting my entire collection of 1500+ images online. A super herculean task but hope to have something going soon. I'll announce that on the Cloudy Nights forum mentioned above.

Rick
__________________
Stefan
Old January 7th 18, 12:53 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Mandy Liefbowitz

On Wed, 27 Dec 2017 21:02:42 +0000, Mandy Liefbowitz
wrote:

On Tue, 26 Dec 2017 17:50:55 +0000, WA0CKY
wrote:

After this site

Which site?

Well, it looks like either I'm not propagating properly, the original
poster has me spam-blocked, the OP doesn't read Usenet, he's very busy
or he can't be bothered replying.
I guess I'll never know which, so I'll assume the worst, he hates me,
has spam-blocked me and can't be bothered replying to something like
me.

I haven't seen any images since I asked the question in my post, so I
assume he's not sending to Usenet any more.

A little tear may not be excessive.
Mand.
Old January 9th 18, 10:19 AM
WA0CKY WA0CKY is offline
Senior Member

I don't use or read USENET. The forum I'm posting to is SpaceBanter. They do copy posts to USENET but it is SpaceBanter that deletes posts. Sometimes quickly sometimes weeks later. It's users of SpaceBanter that are yelling at me for deleting posts and URLs they have bookmarked. I spend too much time reposting lost URLs. CloudyNights doesn't delete posts at will like SpaceBanter. They don't crosspost to USENET so follow me in the CCD/CMOS forum at CloudyNights if you wish. I respond to all posts there and Private Messages. You do have to join to post either but not follow me. No cost to join. Latest: https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/6...r-this-winter/

Rick

Old January 11th 18, 07:38 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Mandy Liefbowitz

On Tue, 9 Jan 2018 09:19:20 +0000, WA0CKY
wrote:

I don't use or read USENET. The forum I'm posting to is SpaceBanter.
They do copy posts to USENET but it is SpaceBanter that deletes posts.
Sometimes quickly sometimes weeks later. It's users of SpaceBanter that
are yelling at me for deleting posts and URLs they have bookmarked. I
spend too much time reposting lost URLs. CloudyNights doesn't delete
posts at will like SpaceBanter. They don't crosspost to USENET so
follow me in the CCD/CMOS forum at CloudyNights if you wish. I respond
to all posts there and Private Messages. You do have to join to post
either but not follow me. No cost to join. Latest:
http://tinyurl.com/ya7cez55

Rick

Hi,
thank you for your nice, kind and considerate reply.
Sorry, but I don't do websites for things like Usenet, not even
Google groups. Once, a long way back in the darkness of pre-history, I
liked Deja-news but they went away (became the all-consuming Google)
so I reverted back to Usenet by way of Agent.
It's a phobia or something.
Old age, maybe.
I liked your pretties and I'll miss them.
Thank you for all of the work you've done brightening our lives for
so many years. It was appreciated.
Hugs,
Mand.
Old November 15th 18, 12:18 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Mandy Liefbowitz

On Tue, 13 Nov 2018 08:26:23 -0500, Brian
wrote:

On Fri, 29 Dec 2017 16:56:17 +0000, Mandy Liefbowitz
wrote:

On Thu, 28 Dec 2017 09:26:04 +0100, (Anders
Eklöf) wrote:

Anders Eklöf wrote:

However, I don't see any posts in the group on their web interface.

Unfortunately, as with loads of other Usenet providers, Easynet don't
let us use their web-interface without joining up.
I really miss Deja-News.
Maybe also Dejah Thoris. But that's probably off-topic.

Which, BTW, I think is because you use uuencode for your binaries, and
Easynews probably only decodes yenc to the web interface.

That may be why you don't see your posts. You should see them with Agent
(mark the group as unread, that's is what I did).

I see the posts with Agent. I have it set to auto-display the images
inside the message window as well as to save them to a directory.
Agent is cool. It's about the best argument for keeping a Windows
box.

It's been almost a year since this post was made, I was just cleaning
up some inactive folders in my Agent setup - but if you're still
reading, you might like to know that Agent works just fine under Linux
and WINE, the only part of it which doesn't work is the help pages.
I'm currently using Agent 8 running Ubuntu 18.04.

There are some very strange people on these here Interwebbies. Some
of them reply to ancient posts I'd forgotten I posted. It's cool but
strange.

I'm glad monitoring the newsgroup doesn't actually cost me any time,
effort or money, just a quick glance when I download new messages, or
I'd have missed you. You are very nice to have responded after so
long.

Thank you for that. I did know that things like WINE and Crossover (a
paid-for GUI of WINE, in a way) will happily run Agent. I've even
tried it in a few *Nixxy OSes. The reason I don't run it under one of
them is sheer idleness. My Last-PC-I'll-Buy is a lovely machine that
came with Win-7 and I've seen no *compelling* reason to get rid of
that OS.
No compelling reason *yet*.
It works barely well enough for me to tolerate its foibles and flaws
so I let well alone.

Agent is well-written software that will run well under most
emulators or bottlers for Windows. It's quite well behaved but it has
the enormous flaw of not having a Mac OS or *Nixxy port. Forté just
don't seem to be interested in minority markets. I think that's a
shame.
For anyone wanting to try Agent, this FAQ answer may be useful to
browse first:

http://www.forteinc.com/agent/faq.ph...256C1E005A25B2
it offers advice on getting the thing to work on various flavours of
Windoze and on real OSes.
Oh, and it's probably 32-bit only so newer MacOSes will sneer at it,
though whether that affects bottlers like Crossover or not I will
probably never know.

I *hate* companies that don't provide backwards compatibility paths
for *everything*. It's sheer laziness and arrogance. No, "security" is
no excuse and those of us who want such things are quite aware of the
performance hit so that is a poor excuse, too. Sorry for the ranty-bit
but anything can be made as "secure" as anything else if the OS
writers put the effort into it, all it costs is highly expensive
programmer time. Lots of it.

My other machine is a Macbook with OS Snow Leopard on it. I rather
like that one, too. It's cute. I could run a WINEy thing on that, too,
or even a full Wind-up OS with Parallels or Booty-camper but I don't.
That smacks too much of down-grading a lovely machine. The catty OS is
far more polished than any Windosed OS I've yet seen, even Win-ten. It
"just works", mostly.

I also have a tablet I use as a toy. Android version 4 or so. Yes, I
know Android is up to version seventy-eleven or something but that
tablet tells me I'm "up to date" when I tickle the update button. I'm
not but Sony won't allow it to gobble up any updatier OS. Again, I
*could* jail-break it, root it about and install really cool stuff but
there ain't really no point as I don't use it for anything functional
nor brilliant. It's for play, it hasn't the oomph to do much more.
It's like a more defective puppy withy Alzheimer's than it is a real
computer.

I doubt I can add more memory to the tablet, or to the Mac so running
heavy stuff like VM's is possibly not an option. Not that I care to be
bothered to try.

Oh, and I have one of those pretty little notebooks with Win-7 on it
but that just sits there running GIMPS or SETIATHOME or something.
Maybe PROTEINFOLDING. Again, it's a toy compared to my Win-7 desktop
and running a real OS on it is just more work than the reward is
worth. Were I to offer it to someone else, I'd probably put a *Nix on
it so it looked like it was a real PC but I'm not cruel enough to
lumber anyone with so small a device. I only bought it because I could
and because I was interested in playing with it. I still do, though
only when I remember to.

I once spent many fun hours fiddling about with many flavours of *Nix
OSes, and others, in VM's and multiple boots on many different devices
but those days are well gone. I don't play those games no more. I'm
far too old and tired.

I'll leave that for the young gentlemen like you.

Thank you for your note, it was exceedingly kind of you to reply and
it is very much appreciated. I'm sure others reading this NG, if any
still are, will benefit from it.

And *that* after all is the purpose of Usenet.

You're a nice young man.

Take care and Merry Christmas.
Mand.

Brian.