what happened to atlas of the heavens

Old September 6th 03, 12:20 AM
n3drk

Default what happened to atlas of the heavens

Back in the 70's I ran across a spiraled bound atlas of the heavens. This
was quite large and had fold out charts and was in beautiful water colors.
Nebulas was one color, dust was another, different stars depending on their
magnitude another color, binary stars another color etc. catch my drift?
Printed on quality paper it was nice. But it is no longer available and I
believe it was called "Atlas of the Heavens"
I know they have this star atlas 2001 but don't know if it is like the
one mentioned in the paragraph above. Does anyone know or have experience
what I am talking about and was that the correct title of it in the 70's?
Can it be obtained today? Is there something comparable?
Thanks

john

Old September 6th 03, 02:55 AM
Colonel J.K. Green

"n3drk" wrote in message
Back in the 70's I ran across a spiraled bound atlas of the heavens. This
was quite large and had fold out charts and was in beautiful water colors.
Nebulas was one color, dust was another, different stars depending on their
magnitude another color, binary stars another color etc. catch my drift?
Printed on quality paper it was nice. But it is no longer available and I
believe it was called "Atlas of the Heavens"
I know they have this star atlas 2001 but don't know if it is like the
one mentioned in the paragraph above. Does anyone know or have experience
what I am talking about and was that the correct title of it in the 70's?
Can it be obtained today? Is there something comparable?
Thanks

john

Anton Becvar's Skalnate Pleso Atlas of the Heavens, maybe?
They went out of print around the mid 80's (sold by Sky Publishing).
I have two of the three with 1950 coordinates.
Do a google search and you might find an actual picture of one.

j.k.g.

Old September 6th 03, 05:19 AM
Bob Weber

Tirion & Sinnott's Second Edition Sky Atlas 2000.0, Deluxe Version has large
fold out pages and uses color for different types of objects. It's not
water colors but is functional to magnitude 8.5

Bob

Old September 6th 03, 06:47 AM
David Knisely

Hi there. You posted:

I know they have this star atlas 2001 but don't know if it is like the
one mentioned in the paragraph above. Does anyone know or have experience
what I am talking about and was that the correct title of it in the 70's?
Can it be obtained today? Is there something comparable?

I believe what you may have seen was Antonin Becvar's Atlas Colei 1950.0,
better known in amateur circles as the Skalnate Pleso ATLAS OF THE HEAVENS. I
still have the original edition (published in 1962, but in print until the mid
1970's). There was also another set with colored stars (but no Deep-sky
objects) which was the two-volume ATLAS BOREALIS, and ATLAS ECLIPTICAS, but
the only place I have seen it was in a physics library. Skalnate-Pleso has
long-since been replaced by Wil Trion and Roger W. Sinnott's SKY ATLAS 2000.0
(Sky Publishing), now in its second edition. Sky Atlas 2000.0 is vastly
better than the old Skalnate Pleso Atlas (better printing, goes fainter in
limiting magnitude, and has more objects plotted). Its second edition is
available in various forms depending on your needs. It has become the "atlas
of choice" for many amateur astronomers, although there are more expensive
atlases and software which are better in various ways. Clear skies to you.
--
David W. Knisely
Prairie Astronomy Club:

* July 27-Aug. 1st, 2003, Merritt Reservoir *
* http://www.NebraskaStarParty.org *