A Moon base is too far; an asteroid ship better alternative:)

Old March 21st 05, 07:48 PM
Mike Combs

"Gene P." wrote in message

I'm basically a skeptic of human nature though... I don't think there will
ever be solar power satellites or really big solar mirror farms for the
same basic reason:

The ability to focus a power beam at any distance is equivalent to a space
weapon of incredible power. No Government will ever allow it... unless
there's been a major war and only one government has access to space.

You need to read some more on the SPS proposal. The power beam proposed
would have zero usefulness as a weapon. It's a beam that requires the
active cooperation of its target (I'm referring to the phased array pilot
signal).

--

Regards,
Mike Combs

Old March 21st 05, 08:39 PM
D Schneider

Sander Vesik wrote:

Cameron Dorrough wrote:

If you were serious, you'd probably direct bury them - AIUI, moon dust
is a great insulator.

Its a great thermal insulator - this does not automaticly mean it is
also a great electrical insulator

No, but those properties are often related; electron mobility plays a role
in each.

(especially if fused by the electricty first).

Silicates tend to form glass; I'm not sure what the particular minerals
most common in lunar regolith would form into.

/dps

Old March 21st 05, 08:41 PM
D Schneider

Paul F. Dietz wrote:

D Schneider wrote:

How much plasma is there on the Moon? I would have thought that the
density of earth's atmosphere falls off rapidly after LEO (isn't drag
negligible by MEO?). Does the solar wind have enough density to
produce arcing?

The concern would be that there would be a runaway discharge from
secondary ions. You wouldn't need much to get that process started.

Can you explain in more detail how the secondary ions would be formed?
What are you seeing as the primary ion, and what atoms become the
secondary ions?

/dps

Old March 22nd 05, 01:47 AM
Paul F. Dietz

D Schneider wrote:

Can you explain in more detail how the secondary ions would be formed?
What are you seeing as the primary ion, and what atoms become the
secondary ions?

Primary ions would be ambient plasma ions. Secondary ions would be ions
sputtered off surfaces after impact by other ions or electrons.

Paul
Old March 22nd 05, 04:35 AM
D Schneider

Paul F. Dietz wrote:

Primary ions would be ambient plasma ions. Secondary ions would be ions
sputtered off surfaces after impact by other ions or electrons.

So what is the flux of ambient plasma ions at the lunar surface?

/dps

Old March 23rd 05, 01:09 AM
Paul F. Dietz

D Schneider wrote:
Paul F. Dietz wrote:

Primary ions would be ambient plasma ions. Secondary ions would be ions
sputtered off surfaces after impact by other ions or electrons.

So what is the flux of ambient plasma ions at the lunar surface?

If the multiplication factor is 1, you just need one to get the
process started, so the initial ion density isn't important.

Paul
Old March 24th 05, 01:35 AM
Earl Colby Pottinger

Joe Strout :

Nonsense. The microwave power beam from a solar power satellite has
half the power density of sunlight. You could walk right through it and
probably wouldn't even notice.

think you are wrong there. As you walk thru the beam you will probably
think it is a very hot day and go looking for a drink. Powersats promote
beer sales, that is why there is a sercet cabal of German Brewmasters behind
the push for space power.

I don't think that mirrors could focus light on Earth's surface enough
to cause major damage, either.

High school math is your friend. Basicly, a point source from an orbiting
mirror reflecting to Earth's surface with expand in width 1/100 it's attitude
on the surface.

Simple model: Orbit a mirror at 200 KMs and see how much it can increase
light desity on Earth if it is perfect.

Min. Spot size on Earth 2KM.

1KM mirror, - Solar flux increase 25%, Total flux 125% - Just a hot day.

2KM mirror, - Solar flux increase 100%, Total flux 200% - Feel the heat.

4KM mirror, - Solar flux increase 400%, Total flux 500% - Now that is
getting hot!

The problem is 200KM is very low, you have major orbital decay problems, the
transit time across the sky is very fast so you need a lot of mirrors or alot
of downtime.

So let's try 1000KM.

Min. Spot size on Earth 10KM.

1KM mirror, - Solar flux increase 1%, Total flux 101% - This will not be
noticeable.

2KM mirror, - Solar flux increase 4%, Total flux 104% - Not much better.

4KM mirror, - Solar flux increase 16%, Total flux 116% - Just noticable!

Basicly mirrors need to be min of 1% in diameter of thier attitude to achive
even a 100% increase of the solar flux. Thier use as a weapon does not make
sense.

Earl Colby Pottinger

--
I make public email sent to me! Hydrogen Peroxide Rockets, OpenBeos,
SerialTransfer 3.0, RAMDISK, BoatBuilding, DIY TabletPC. What happened to