Rewriting the Drake Equation

Old January 2nd 17, 02:33 PM posted to sci.space.policy
William Mook[_2_]

Default Rewriting the Drake Equation

iPhone app for google groups don't quote what I'm replying to. So don't take it personally.

Your other points reflect a profound ignorance of cosmology. My comments stem from my work with John Kraus Paul Horowitz and Walt Mitchell in graduate school so they're not biases but training in current cosmology.

Old January 3rd 17, 03:42 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Jonathan

On 1/2/2017 8:33 AM, William Mook wrote:
iPhone app for google groups don't quote what I'm replying to. So don't take it personally.

Your other points reflect a profound ignorance of cosmology. My comments stem from my work with John Kraus Paul Horowitz and Walt Mitchell in graduate school so they're not biases but training in current cosmology.

I was quoting this guy, you're calling him ignorant
at your own cost. No one on the planet is more
respected in cosmology as he practically wrote
the book on the big bang theory.

http://wwwphy.princeton.edu/~steinh/
Old January 10th 17, 02:21 AM posted to sci.space.policy
William Mook[_2_]

On Tuesday, January 3, 2017 at 3:42:25 PM UTC+13, jonathan wrote:
On 1/2/2017 8:33 AM, William Mook wrote:
iPhone app for google groups don't quote what I'm replying to. So don't take it personally.

Your other points reflect a profound ignorance of cosmology. My comments stem from my work with John Kraus Paul Horowitz and Walt Mitchell in graduate school so they're not biases but training in current cosmology.

I was quoting this guy,

You misquoted Hoyle thinking he meant something other than he actually did.

you're calling him ignorant
at your own cost.

I'm not saying anything against Hoyle. I'm saying you are ignorant of Hoyle's views based on what you said about them.

No one on the planet is more
respected in cosmology as he practically wrote
the book on the big bang theory.

Fred Hoyle coined the term 'Big Bang' as a derisive label of the theory proposed by the Catholic Priest LeMaitre as a defense of Genesis. Hoyle is a strong proponent of the steady state cosmology and believes the 13.7 billion year apparent age of the cosmos to be an artefact of observational technique nothing more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebqAH5mLZNk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsiFvCYSjHI

http://wwwphy.princeton.edu/~steinh/

Steinhardt is an accomplished scientist. He has written extensively about the cyclic cosmos as a way to re-introduce a quasi-steady state cosmology. This is not what you spoke of previously. You mentioned something that was written in the popular press about Big Bang and ascribed it wrongly to Hoyle.

Steinhardt has also attempted to come to terms with a cosmology that supports the "Christian Theology" - which marks him in the same League as LeMaitre. Namely, he has a political axe to grind, and probably doesn't even believe in anything Christian personally, but is seeking rather to pull the wool over the eyes of the believing millions giving their legends a scientific patina and shallow defensibility.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_TDgTebF_Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oR02ciandvg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zlj5-iwKueQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsaRQDxmLqY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pl2IHrh101Q

Drake Equation: How can ne*fl*fi be large? Jason Hsu SETI 1 March 11th 09 11:05 AM
Drake equation Fons Misc 1 May 17th 07 04:58 PM
Drake Equation Variables Pat Flannery History 124 April 15th 07 06:49 PM
Drake's Equation Rich SETI 1 October 8th 03 07:18 PM
Free Aug.26 CA conf. w/Drake,Ward,Grinspoon re Drake Equation Revisited Jason H. SETI 2 August 26th 03 10:03 AM