reference to Andrew Chaikin's book

Old March 3rd 13, 07:33 AM posted to sci.space.history
Jan Philips

Default reference to Andrew Chaikin's book

On Wikipedia, it says that Andrew Chaikin's "A Man on the Moon" says
that at the time of Apollo 8, some people didn't believe it was real.
(I read the book about 4 years ago.) Can someone tell where in the
book that is? In the chapter on Apollo 8? What part?
Old March 5th 13, 04:00 AM posted to sci.space.history
Jan Philips

On Sun, 03 Mar 2013 01:33:22 -0500, Jan Philips
wrote:

On Wikipedia, it says that Andrew Chaikin's "A Man on the Moon" says
that at the time of Apollo 8, some people didn't believe it was real.
(I read the book about 4 years ago.) Can someone tell where in the
book that is? In the chapter on Apollo 8? What part?

Or is there any reference to such beliefs at the time of Apollo 8?
Old March 13th 13, 11:32 AM posted to sci.space.history
Obviousman

You aren't thinkng of Charlie Smith, who watched the Apollo 17 launch,
are you? He said:

"I see that's a rocket, but ain't no-one going to the Moon. Me, you or
anybody else."

Old March 13th 13, 07:56 PM posted to sci.space.history
Jan Philips

On Wed, 13 Mar 2013 21:32:46 +1100, Obviousman
wrote:

You aren't thinkng of Charlie Smith, who watched the Apollo 17 launch,

No, I'm talking about the time of Apollo 8.
Old April 9th 13, 03:43 AM posted to sci.space.history
OM[_19_]

On Sunday, March 3, 2013 12:33:22 AM UTC-6, Jan Philips wrote:
On Wikipedia, it says that Andrew Chaikin's "A Man on the Moon" says

that at the time of Apollo 8, some people didn't believe it was real.

(I read the book about 4 years ago.) Can someone tell where in the

book that is? In the chapter on Apollo 8? What part?

....I'd have to pull my copy of Andy's book out, but ISTR you may be thinking of the Flat Earth Society. Unlike Guthball and his catamite ilk, the FES has become more of a "Loyal Order of Water Buffalos" type of group, bending more towards a cross between Ampgard and SCA. They *know* the Earth isn't flat, and they *know* none of the moon missions have been faked. But just like some people go to Renfest and pretend they're living in the days of yore, or go to SDCC dressed up in some sort of cosplay nonsense, in either case doing nothing more playing the same games we did growing up with a cardboard box marked "Friendship 7" on the side. Only a bit more elaborate.

Note to self: locate where in all these terabytes of storage my DOS text version of Andy's book disappeared to.

OM
Old June 6th 13, 03:09 AM posted to sci.space.history
Jan Philips

On Mon, 8 Apr 2013 19:43:22 -0700 (PDT), OM
wrote:

On Sunday, March 3, 2013 12:33:22 AM UTC-6, Jan Philips wrote:
On Wikipedia, it says that Andrew Chaikin's "A Man on the Moon" says

that at the time of Apollo 8, some people didn't believe it was real.

(I read the book about 4 years ago.) Can someone tell where in the

book that is? In the chapter on Apollo 8? What part?

...I'd have to pull my copy of Andy's book out, but ISTR you may be thinking of the Flat Earth Society.

Thanks - this message is so old I almost missed it.

The FES is not in the index. Do you think it is in the chapter on A8?
Old June 6th 13, 04:02 AM posted to sci.space.history
Jan Philips

wrote:

On Sunday, March 3, 2013 12:33:22 AM UTC-6, Jan Philips wrote:
On Wikipedia, it says that Andrew Chaikin's "A Man on the Moon" says

that at the time of Apollo 8, some people didn't believe it was real.

(I read the book about 4 years ago.) Can someone tell where in the

book that is? In the chapter on Apollo 8? What part?

...I'd have to pull my copy of Andy's book out, but ISTR you may be thinking of the Flat Earth Society.

Thanks - this message is so old I almost missed it.

The FES is not in the index. Do you think it is in the chapter on A8?

That could be before A8.
Old June 6th 13, 04:05 AM posted to sci.space.history
Jan Philips

wrote:

On Sunday, March 3, 2013 12:33:22 AM UTC-6, Jan Philips wrote:
On Wikipedia, it says that Andrew Chaikin's "A Man on the Moon" says

that at the time of Apollo 8, some people didn't believe it was real.

(I read the book about 4 years ago.) Can someone tell where in the

book that is? In the chapter on Apollo 8? What part?

...I'd have to pull my copy of Andy's book out, but ISTR you may be thinking of the Flat Earth Society.

Thanks - this message is so old I almost missed it.

The FES is not in the index. Do you think it is in the chapter on A8?

The source is actually this by Chaikin, top of page 64

http://history.nasa.gov/sp4801-chapter4.pdf