Simulating Van Allen Particles

Old December 8th 03, 02:44 AM
Vincent Cate

Default Simulating Van Allen Particles

I added the ability to simulate a charged particle moving in the Earth's
magnetic field to my simulator. This lets you look at the motion of
particles in the Van Allen Belts.

The particles move fast. In the samples I created I have protons going
nearly 1/3 the speed of light. They spiral around a North/South magnetic
field line very quickly. A bit less quickly they are moving north and
south (up and down). And much less quickly they are drifting East around
the world.

This is a very 3D motion, so my samples look first from the side (so you
can see the North/South motion) and then from the top (so you can see
circles and movement around Earth).

Java applet is at http://spacetethers.com/spacetethers.html

The samples are #85 to #88.

-- Vince

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Vincent Cate Space Tether Enthusiast
http://spacetethers.com/
Anguilla, East Caribbean http://offshore.ai/vince
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You have to take life as it happens, but you should try to make it
happen the way you want to take it. - German Proverb
Old December 8th 03, 09:56 PM
Inquiring minds

(Vincent Cate) wrote in message . com...
[...]

Wasnt able to access your site with either IE 6.0 or Netscape 7.1
Other people tell me they have never been able to access your site
with their browser either.

Has it been down the last few months, or just the Java side???

Old December 9th 03, 06:55 PM
Vincent Cate

(Inquiring minds) wrote in message . com...
Wasnt able to access your site with either IE 6.0 or Netscape 7.1
Other people tell me they have never been able to access your site
with their browser either.

Has it been down the last few months, or just the Java side???

I don't understand this yet. It works for many people every day.
I can see from the logs that they have clicked on different samples
because they download the classes for those samples. But you are not
the first to have trouble either. If anyone can help with this I
would appreciate it.

I am on a small island in the Caribbean, so there is a chance there
is some funny Internet problem. The nameservers for spacetethers.com
are ns1.offshore.ai and ns2.offshore.ai. There have been times when
a company had an internal "ai" domain in their DNS in such a way that
people in that company could not get to my nameservers. Andrew Thompson
is now also hosting the simulator so trying his site could avoid either
of these problems:

http://www.1point1c.org/st/st.jsp

What exactly is the error that you get?

Can you get to the home page http://spacetethers.com/ ?
There is no Java there, so this could let us know if it is an Internet or
Java problem.

To test that your Java is working (could have been turned off), go to:
http://thorin.adnc.com/~topquark/fun/applets.html
and see if you can run any of those.

There is like 150 KB to load, so it could take some time if you are
on a dialup connection.

The HTML I had for starting the applet was not the best it could be,
and Andrew helped me get that fixed last week. So there may be some
people who can get through now that could not. However, that did
not take of you as that change was before I posted about simulating
particles.

If anyone who has trouble running my applet can give me feedback after
trying any of the above I would really appreciate it.

-- Vince

Old December 9th 03, 09:15 PM
dave schneider

(Inquiring minds) wrote:
[...]

Java applet is at
http://spacetethers.com/spacetethers.html

[...]

Wasnt able to access your site with either IE 6.0 or Netscape 7.1
Other people tell me they have never been able to access your site
with their browser either.

Has it been down the last few months, or just the Java side???

The web site is there, but Opera 7.02 isn't completely happy with the
visit (it was dancing for me).

/dps

Old December 11th 03, 06:57 AM
Matthew Montchalin

On 7 Dec 2003, Vincent Cate wrote:
|I added the ability to simulate a charged particle moving in the Earth's
|magnetic field to my simulator. This lets you look at the motion of
|particles in the Van Allen Belts.
|
|The particles move fast. In the samples I created I have protons going
|nearly 1/3 the speed of light. They spiral around a North/South magnetic
|field line very quickly. A bit less quickly they are moving north and
|south (up and down). And much less quickly they are drifting East around
|the world.
|
|This is a very 3D motion, so my samples look first from the side (so you
|can see the North/South motion) and then from the top (so you can see
|circles and movement around Earth).

If it is a 3D motion, maybe you could make a stereoscopic movie employing
all the necessary ray tracing for that kind of a thing to take place?
Stereoscopic movies can be watched using an HMD (head-mounted display)
helmet with LCD displays for each eye. Yes, it might be a little bit
on the expensive side, but the effect must surely be worth experiencing.

Old December 11th 03, 06:57 AM
Matthew Montchalin