AURORA WATCH: Sky watchers should be alert

Old February 11th 04, 04:41 PM
Sam Wormley

Default AURORA WATCH: Sky watchers should be alert

Ref: http://spaceweather.com/

AURORA WATCH: Sky watchers should be alert
for auroras on Feb 12th when Earth encounters a solar
wind stream flowing from a coronal hole on the sun.

-Sam Wormley
http://edu-observatory.org/eo/aurora.html

Space Weather Message Code: ALTK05
Serial Number: 394
Issue Time: 2004 Feb 11 1626 UTC

ALERT: Geomagnetic K-index of 5
Threshold Reached: 2004 Feb 11 1626 UTC
Synoptic Period: 1500-1800 UTC
Active Warning: Yes
Old February 14th 04, 09:57 PM
Anders Eklöf

Sam Wormley wrote:

Ref: http://spaceweather.com/

AURORA WATCH: Sky watchers should be alert
for auroras on Feb 12th when Earth encounters a solar
wind stream flowing from a coronal hole on the sun.

There was a continous aurora bow (I guess it was the aurora oval itself)
in the north - from NW to NE - around 18:30 on Feb 11th !
The top was about 30 degrees above the horizon.
Some brighter patches we visible below the bow occationally.
Also I glimped some aurora-looking light extending from our suburban
sodium light dome in the east.

Position 30 km NW of Stockholm. 59d29'N 17d49'E

Old February 14th 04, 09:57 PM
Anders Eklöf

Ref: http://spaceweather.com/