msl sky crane?

Old February 22nd 12, 08:37 PM posted to sci.space.tech
Ro

Default msl sky crane?

Hi,

I've been searching for video's and information on testing of the msl
sky crane system.
Apparently I've been looking in all the wrong places because I have
found nothing but nice pictures about how it should work on mars.

Turning to the wisdom of the group here.
Have test articles been built and tested?
Are video's and information available?

TIA Roland

Old February 23rd 12, 07:40 AM posted to sci.space.tech
Anvil*[_2_]

On Feb 22, 11:37 am:
*snip*
Have test articles been built and tested?
Are video's and information available?

TIA Roland

There's a basic drop test of the teather system:
http://www.universetoday.com/82679/v...ars-rovers-sky
-crane-landing-system/

It is typical that everything was tested in component and major
assembly levels, but as far as the total system... I think that's
simulation.
Each of the major bits except the teather have been used at some
point, just adding the teather and not landing the lander is a new
twist.

The retro-fire and lower bit seeks to remove many problem modes
encountered with heavier craft in a direct landing. Releasing the
chutes early to have a higher probability of not landing on the craft
and the skycrane should have released the vehicle before the chutes
could foul the skycrane. Dust on landing is greatly reduced and the
vehicle acts like a big curb feeler, in that the weight on the wheels
will confirm actual touchdown. Just, flying the skycrane away seems a
little vague to me. Much prefer a phrase like: 200 meters South before
cutting thrust.

RB

Old March 27th 12, 02:23 AM posted to sci.space.tech
Bob Haller

On Feb 23, 2:40 am, "Anvil*" wrote:
On Feb 22, 11:37 am:
*snip*

Have test articles been built and tested?
Are video's and information available?

TIA Roland

There's a basic drop test of the teather system:http://www.universetoday.

com/82679/video-drop-test-for-next-mars-rove...
[...]

gut instinct, this sucker is too complex, and will fail......

I hope I am wrong....

Nasa does NOT need another high profile failure!!!!!

Allowing, but minimally Very little actual technical content in reply. -GdM