The end of the american space program.

Old January 17th 04, 01:24 AM
jacob navia

Default The end of the american space program.

Today, NASA Administrator O'Keefe announced that
the american space telescope will not be serviced
by the shuttle anymore, and we start hearing about
the "fiery reentry". An automatic engine will precipitate
this instrument to the surface of the earth. No need for
scopes. We are going to the moon. Science is not
needed for that, nor the scientists, that cost a lot of
money.

The shuttle fleet grounded, americans aren't able to
service the space telescope, a few hundreds of kilometers
higher up. And Mr Bush talks about servicing a supply
line of 300.000 Km?

A class-mate of Mr Bush (Molly Ivins) writes:
(I quote from "The mother Jones")

"...in what is becoming a recurring, almost nightmare-type
scenario, the minute he visits some constructive program
and praises it (AmeriCorps, the Boys and Girls Club,
job training), he turns around and cuts the budget for it.
It's the kiss of death if the president comes to praise
your program.
During the presidential debate in Boston in 2000, Bush said,
"First and foremost, we've got to make sure we fully fund
the Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program, which is a
way to help low-income folks, particularly here in the East,
pay their high fuel bills."

He then sliced $300 million out of that sucker, even as
people were dying of hypothermia, or, to put it bluntly,
freezing to death.

Sometimes he even cuts your program before he comes to
praise it. In August 2002, Bush held a photo op with the
Quecreek coal miners, the nine men whose rescue had
thrilled the country. By then he had already cut the
coal-safety budget at the Mine Safety and Health Administration,
which engineered the rescue, by 6 percent, and had named a
coal-industry executive to run the agency".

End quote.

Announcing that the space telescope will be destroyed
would have provoked an outcry if not enveloped in a
good mixture of "good space news": we are going to the
moon, of course.

Old January 17th 04, 01:44 AM
jacob navia

Default Documents as published by NASA watch

http://www.nasawatch.com/misc/01.16.04.hst.html

This is an internal STScI memo from Steve Beckwith:

Colleagues,

A few minutes ago, we concluded a meeting at which Sean O'Keefe, the
NASA Administrator, announced his decision to cancel SM4, the next
servicing mission to Hubble. It was his decision alone, and I will
discuss the details with your personally. I will be holding a
town-hall meeting in the auditorium at 3:00 pm today for everyone who
is interested to answer your questions about the decision and talk
about the future.

Steve

----------

Subject: Cancellation of SM4

Dear SOC:

You've just heard from Randy, and I just finished a long conversation
with Dave Leckrone. O'Keefe decided, apparently almost purely for
reasons of Shuttle safety, to cancel SM4. Budget was not a driving
concern, nor was the new Bush space initiative. (Only the timing was
related to the President's announcement.) Code S opposed the decision
and had identified sufficient funding to cover the SM4 slippage.

Basically, the problem was that a Hubble Shuttle mission would require
special safety procedures to be developed (inspection, etc) that would
not be necessary for an ISS mission. (This point seems to be disputed
by people in Houston, who were eager to do SM4.) Only ISS missions
will be carried out in the future.

John Grunsfeld, the Chief Scientist, was apparently as surprised as
most everybody else at the decision. Dave's first inkling was the
email sent out by Rogier yesterday. This has been held very close to
the vest.

The decision is such that it looks like there is no recourse.

We have been encouraged to think of other productive ways to use WFC3
and COS---maybe on MIDEX's, etc. Looking for bright ideas to salvage
something from these excellent instruments.

If the President's initiative is approved, even in its first phase,
there will be significant science involved, in which GSFC hopes to
participate.

Despite our own fundamental disappointment, we were on the periphery
of the project, and our main concern should be for those who spent the
last six years of their careers working on it and doing such a
beautiful job.

There are plenty of issues to work through, and we should still plan
to hold our February SOC meeting.

Regretfully --- Bob

Old January 17th 04, 03:40 AM
Chosp

"jacob navia" wrote in message
Today, NASA Administrator O'Keefe announced that
the american space telescope will not be serviced
by the shuttle anymore,

What is O'Keefe's e-mail address?

Old January 17th 04, 03:45 AM
John Griffin

"jacob navia" , being a
Frenchman, surrendered to his impulses and wrote:

[ yap yap yap ]

The HST's death was planned when it was launched, doofus.

[ real purpose of dumb article ("I hate Bush") snipped ]

You're funny. You have a hell of a time sticking to your topic.

A class-mate of Mr Bush (Molly Ivins) writes:

You misspelled "professional bitch and virulent Republican-
hater."

Old January 17th 04, 05:20 AM
John Griffin

Tom McDonald wrote:

John Griffin wrote:

"jacob navia" , being a
Frenchman, surrendered to his impulses and wrote:

[ yap yap yap ]

The HST's death was planned when it was launched, doofus.

[ real purpose of dumb article ("I hate Bush") snipped ]

You're funny. You have a hell of a time sticking to your
topic.

A class-mate of Mr Bush (Molly Ivins) writes:

You misspelled "professional bitch and virulent
Republican- hater."

John,

You misspelled "correct".

Tom McDonald

No, really..."surrendered" is correct.

Old January 17th 04, 10:05 AM
jacob navia

"John Griffin" wrote in message
. 1.4...
"jacob navia" , being a
Frenchman, surrendered to his impulses and wrote:

[ yap yap yap ]

The HST's death was planned when it was launched, doofus.

[ real purpose of dumb article ("I hate Bush") snipped ]

You're funny. You have a hell of a time sticking to your topic.

A class-mate of Mr Bush (Molly Ivins) writes:

You misspelled "professional bitch and virulent Republican-
hater."

You do not dispute the facts do you?

Fact is: the budget of those programs was cut.

Fact is: The servicing mission was planned for next year. The
useful life of the HST can be extended to 2010 without
any problems.

It is a fact too that I am french. Obviously I am in the bad
side of your manichean world.

Old January 17th 04, 10:57 AM
DrPostman

On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 10:05:45 +0100, "jacob navia"
wrote:

"John Griffin" wrote in message
.1.4...
"jacob navia" , being a
Frenchman, surrendered to his impulses and wrote:

[ yap yap yap ]

The HST's death was planned when it was launched, doofus.

[ real purpose of dumb article ("I hate Bush") snipped ]

You're funny. You have a hell of a time sticking to your topic.

A class-mate of Mr Bush (Molly Ivins) writes:

You misspelled "professional bitch and virulent Republican-
hater."

You do not dispute the facts do you?

Fact is: the budget of those programs was cut.

Fact is: The servicing mission was planned for next year. The
useful life of the HST can be extended to 2010 without
any problems.

There is a new scope scheduled for launch in 2007 or 2008 that
is a vast improvement over Hubble. Why keep it up after that?

--
Dr.Postman USPS, MBMC, BsD; "Disgruntled, But Unarmed"
Member,Board of Directors of afa-b, SKEP-TI-CULT® member #15-51506-253.

"Shake it like a polaroid picture."
- Andre 3000 of Outkast
Old January 17th 04, 01:05 PM
John Griffin

"jacob navia" wrote:

"John Griffin" wrote
"jacob navia" , being a
Frenchman, surrendered to his impulses and wrote:

[ yap yap yap ]

The HST's death was planned when it was launched, doofus.

[ real purpose of dumb article ("I hate Bush") snipped ]

You're funny. You have a hell of a time sticking to your
topic.

A class-mate of Mr Bush (Molly Ivins) writes:

You misspelled "professional bitch and virulent
Republican- hater."

You do not dispute the facts do you?

Fact is: the budget of those programs was cut.

Fact is: The servicing mission was planned for next year.
The useful life of the HST can be extended to 2010 without
any problems.

It is a fact too that I am french. Obviously I am in the
bad side of your manichean world.

Ain't life a bitch.

If I were sexually disoriented, I'd think you're cute. Keep
trying. You never know who's reading this stuff.

Old January 17th 04, 04:45 PM
Bob Tenney

On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 09:57:46 GMT, DrPostman
wrote:

There is a new scope scheduled for launch in 2007 or 2008 that
is a vast improvement over Hubble. Why keep it up after that?

After all, they razed Palomar after they built the Keck, didn't they?

SCO delenda est.
adress is partially sdrawkcab.