'Niku' found orbiting beyond Neptune.

Old August 12th 16, 04:08 AM posted to sci.space.policy
[email protected]

Default 'Niku' found orbiting beyond Neptune.

There's a mysterious object doing a crazy loop around our solar system,
but scientists have no idea what it is:

"Niku orbits the solar system at a bizarre angle: a plane tilted 110 degrees to
the flat plane of the solar system. This flat plane - a disk in which planets
move around the sun - is a defining quality of a planetary system.

But Niku, already moving above the plane, travels a little further upward every
day.

And unlike the other law-abiding objects in the solar system, Niku travels
against the flow of the bulk of the solar system, taking a wild backward swing
around the sun.

Objects that don't move within the plane of the solar system or spin in the
opposite direction must have been shoved off course by something else or tugged
by the gravity of another object.

"It suggests that there's more going on in the outer solar system than we're
fully aware of," Matthew Holman at the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for
Astrophysics, part of the team that discovered Niku, told New Scientist, where
we first saw the story."

See:

https://amp.businessinsider.com/niku...neptune-2016-8

Old August 12th 16, 12:47 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Bob Haller

And unlike the other law-abiding objects in the solar system, Niku travels
against the flow of the bulk of the solar system, taking a wild backward swing
around the sun.

Dammit, they've found my ship! I thought putting it way out of the
ecliptic and making it retrograde would hide it well enough for it to
have stayed hidden more than a few centuries. Now I'm going to have
to move it...

fred please get on your ship and go back home, or anywhere else without internet access
Old August 12th 16, 12:54 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Greg \(Strider\) Moore

"Fred J. McCall" wrote in message

[...]

Don't worry. Mook can design a spacesuit ship that will run on unobtonium
and get you there in 2 days.

Old August 13th 16, 05:18 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Fred J. McCall[_3_]

bob haller wrote:

And unlike the other law-abiding objects in the solar system, Niku travels
against the flow of the bulk of the solar system, taking a wild backward swing
around the sun.

Dammit, they've found my ship! I thought putting it way out of the
ecliptic and making it retrograde would hide it well enough for it to
have stayed hidden more than a few centuries. Now I'm going to have
to move it...

fred please get on your ship and go back home, or anywhere else without internet access

Bobbert, please rent a clue and have someone show you how to operate
it.

only stupid."
-- Heinrich Heine
Old August 15th 16, 09:04 AM posted to sci.space.policy
[email protected]

From the article in the original post:

"Scientists noticed that rebel Niku seems to be hanging around a gang of other
strangely aligned objects. At first glance, the scientists thought that this
might suggest that Planet Nine, a hypothetical planet that would be about as
much as 10 times as massive as Earth, might be pulling on the objects.

But it turns out that the rebellious object would be out of Planet Nine's
reach, too free-living to succumb to the undiscovered planet's gravitational
attraction.

So exactly what's going on is still a mystery."

So, does mean there there could be a Planet 10 (& 11, 12 ..... ?) out there?