Spotted on http://hsf.nasa.gov/topics.php

Old July 15th 09, 07:12 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley

Default Spotted on http://hsf.nasa.gov/topics.php

"Pat Flannery" wrote in message
dakotatelephone...

Jeff Findley wrote:
I'm offended that you're lumping me in with these guys.

The engineering necessary to build and fly a LEO fuel depot really isn't
beyond the current state of the art.

No it's not. It's just that the idea doesn't make any sense, the same way
their ideas don't make any sense.
And you are just as fixated on this idea as they are on theirs.

It doesn't make sense given NASA's current architecture where everything is
disposable, but the SRB's and maybe the Orion reentry vehicle.

At some point though, disposable launch vehicles and disposable spacecraft
aren't going to make sense anymore. In order to reuse some of these
expensive pieces of hardware, you're going to need to refuel them since
bringing them back down Earth's gravity well makes even less sense than
refueling them.

Jeff
--
"Take heart amid the deepening gloom
that your dog is finally getting enough cheese" - Deteriorata - National

Old July 15th 09, 07:20 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley

"Pat Flannery" wrote in message
dakotatelephone...

Jeff Findley wrote:
Have you even read the testbed proposals from the Centaur guys? Here's
one:

http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/ca...2006251226.pdf

Google "Centaur cryogenic testbed" and you'll find quite a bit of info on
the topic. Again, these proposals are from some of the world's leading
experts in cryogenic fluids in microgravity.

Again, the technology isn't the problem... it's the whole orbiting fuel
depot _concept_ that doesn't make any sense.
I'm going to killfile you now, as I'm getting sick and tired of reading
about this thing.

This group is dying anyway, so it's not surprising that I'm the only one
here who thinks that LEO fuel depots will be necessary for Mars missions.
NSF is a hell of a lot more active than this newsgroup. :-(

Jeff

Old July 15th 09, 07:22 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley

"Jeff Findley" wrote in message
This group is dying anyway, so it's not surprising that I'm the only one
here who thinks that LEO fuel depots will be necessary for Mars missions.
NSF is a hell of a lot more active than this newsgroup. :-(

To quote Eric Cartman, "Screw you guys, I'm going home".

Jeff

Old July 16th 09, 08:25 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Derek Lyons

"Jeff Findley" wrote:

This group is dying anyway, so it's not surprising that I'm the only one
here who thinks that LEO fuel depots will be necessary for Mars missions.

That has to be one of the oddest correlations I've ever seen.

NSF is a hell of a lot more active than this newsgroup. :-(

Oh sure, there's a lot more traffic there... But not a whole lot of
content, and a nasty shedload of groupthink and cluelessness.

D.
--
Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.

http://derekl1963.livejournal.com/

Oct 5th, 2004 JDL
Old July 16th 09, 10:47 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Pat Flannery

Derek Lyons wrote:
This group is dying anyway, so it's not surprising that I'm the only one
here who thinks that LEO fuel depots will be necessary for Mars missions.

That has to be one of the oddest correlations I've ever seen.

You just wait; I'll bet he can do better than that. :-)

Pat