Aurora visible (at last!) N.Somerset

Old October 30th 03, 01:28 AM
MalcolmP

Default Aurora visible (at last!) N.Somerset

Finally, just before midnight the clouds began to part and from
North Somerset, SW of Bristol, I got to see some activity :-

In the W-N-W to N, patches and diffuse glows of pink and pinkish white.
(in the region of Cygnus and either side). Pinkish white shafts crossing
it from time to time.
Also from NW thro' N to NE the usual arc with white and greenish-white
shafts extending from it, some reaching as high as Polaris.
At 00:20 activity died down and now there is just the northern arc
remaining.
Came in for a warm-up !

Back out in a min.
Malcolm,
well pleased
Old October 30th 03, 01:30 AM
John Honan

"MalcolmP" wrote in message
Finally, just before midnight the clouds began to part and from
North Somerset, SW of Bristol, I got to see some activity :-

In the W-N-W to N, patches and diffuse glows of pink and pinkish white.
(in the region of Cygnus and either side). Pinkish white shafts crossing
it from time to time.

Yes! - That's the same as I saw! - I'm freezing too, but 'well pleased'...
:-)

Old October 30th 03, 01:54 AM
MalcolmP

Finally, just before midnight the clouds began to part and from
North Somerset, SW of Bristol, I got to see some activity :-

In the W-N-W to N, patches and diffuse glows of pink and pinkish white.
(in the region of Cygnus and either side). Pinkish white shafts crossing
it from time to time.

Yes! - That's the same as I saw! - I'm freezing too, but 'well pleased'...
:-)

good init!
It's not over yet, a very brief display of a red patch over Cassiopeia(s
shot through with a thin white shaft extending upwards almost into Perseus
ie. almost overhead, which is quite something for me this far south.

I think a hip-flask and some good wollies is called for :-)
Good hunting,
--
Malcolm.