Why does Ed Lu write about ion engines but not about Nerva?

Old August 8th 03, 06:47 AM
Bar Code

Default Why does Ed Lu write about ion engines but not about Nerva?

http://www.spaceref.com/news/viewsr.html?pid=9926 talks all about
electric ion engines but doesn't mention nerva type engines. Why?

Old August 8th 03, 07:48 AM
Christopher M. Jones

"Bar Code" wrote:
http://www.spaceref.com/news/viewsr.html?pid=9926 talks all about
electric ion engines but doesn't mention nerva type engines. Why?

The "N-Word" in NERVA is Nuclear. That's why.

Old August 8th 03, 02:37 PM
Allen Thomson

Bar Code wrote

http://www.spaceref.com/news/viewsr.html?pid=9926 talks all about
electric ion engines but doesn't mention nerva type engines. Why?

He's concerned with very high Isp engines; Nerva-style nuclear thermal
rockets have Isps only modestly higher than chemical ones. (Note
that in the rocket equation, "modestly higher" can make a substantial
difference in system performance for some applications.)
Old August 8th 03, 05:05 PM
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)

"Bar Code" wrote in message
http://www.spaceref.com/news/viewsr.html?pid=9926 talks all about
electric ion engines but doesn't mention nerva type engines. Why?

Umm, because he didn't feel like it? Keep in mind he's writing these leters
on his own time for his own pleasure.

Old August 9th 03, 01:31 PM
Paul F. Dietz

jeff findley wrote:

Even better would be a dual mode nuclear engine that could produce
high thrust exhaust or electricity. Use the electricity for cruise
mode where something like an ion or plasma engine is more efficient,
but use the high thrust nuclear engine for entering and leaving
the planned planetary orbit (to save time).

One can also design a nuclear engine that produces some electricity
with the propellant itself. There are large unnecessary entropy
producing steps in a conventional nuclear thermal rocket (for example,
when injecting cooler propellant into a hot thrust chamber); it's possible
to design the engine to instead extract additional work. This would not
require external radiators.

One could use this electrical energy in a kind of arc afterburner
downstream of the reactor, to heat the propellant to above the
temperature limit of the reactor's materials.

Paul

Old August 11th 03, 12:07 PM
Joann Evans

William Elliot wrote:

On Fri, 8 Aug 2003, Greg D. Moore (Strider) wrote:
"Bar Code" wrote in message
http://www.spaceref.com/news/viewsr.html?pid=9926 talks all about
electric ion engines but doesn't mention nerva type engines. Why?

Umm, because he didn't feel like it? Keep in mind he's writing these leters
on his own time for his own pleasure.

They're great, much better reading than ISS status reports.
How can I email him thanks for his letters,
recommend to NASA that allowance be made for other ISSonaughts
to write such letters.

What's a hand shake like aboard ISS?

Like any other, except I imagine you'd tend to set both participants
into some sort of oscillation, if they're not secured in some manner.

Can I blow somebody away, can I blow myself or equipment away?

Yes, but not easily. Mass/inertia are still the same. You could find
yourself hyperventilating, if the equipment is more than, say, a
free-floating laptop computer....

If I've a peanut floating before me can I suck it in?

Sure. Plenty of video of astronauts/cosmonauts doing such things.
Water can be espically interesting, as long as you don't let it break
up.

Without touching anything and starting from from motionless
can I swim thru air or turn summersaults?

That's been done, too.

I've sometimes wondered what sort of performance one would get feom
one (or preferably a pair) of those small, battery powered handheld fans
under these conditions....

How many balls can an ISSonaught juggle at once?

Juggling as we usually think of it wouldn't work. One assumes gravity
will bring the objects back down.