David Lunt, Coronado Filters

Old January 18th 05, 06:36 PM
Tom Polakis

Default David Lunt, Coronado Filters

Thom Peck wrote:

I learned this morning that David Lunt, who started Coronado, passed
away the day before yesterday due to his battle against cancer. Here's
the message:

Dear AOIE Members,

It's with great sadness that I learned yesterday afternoon that David
Lunt of Coronado Filters had passed away the day before, losing his
battle to cancer. In a phone conversation yesterday evening,
astrophotographer Jack Newton, a dear friend of David Lunt and his wife
Gerry Hogan, said that David's work has touched millions of people.

Lunt developed the solar filter for the first orbiting solar telescope,
and had 40 years of experience in the field making filters for
professional research. He then developed H-Alpha telescopes for the
amateur market and started the company Coronado Filters in 1997 based
on his technological advances in solar filter systems.

David originally ran Coronado out of his home in the Chiricahua
Mountains and moved the company to its present Tucson location in
2002. Meade Instruments purchased the company in 2004.

Lundt's achievements in developing Etalon filtration to view the Sun
changed the hobby for thousands of amateur astronomers. Surely,
somewhere out there are children who are getting better grades, and
people of all ages who are now looking at life in a more positive light
because the views and images of our closest star as seen through his
solar telescopes. In this way David touched the hearts and minds of
innumerable people.

David Lunt will be deeply missed. I will keep you informed as more
information becomes available.

Very sincerely,

Scott

Old January 18th 05, 07:48 PM
Brian Tung

R.I.P. David Lunt.

Brian Tung
My Own Personal FAQ (SAA) at http://astro.isi.edu/reference/faq.txt
Old January 18th 05, 11:29 PM
Bill Becker

My sincerest condolences to his family and friends. :^(

Best regards,
Bill
"Tom Polakis" wrote in message
ups.com...

Old January 19th 05, 12:33 AM
Herb York

I will always remember the time a group of us went to Sunglow - Gerry and
Dave found out we were there and invited us to dinner at their home a few
miles away. It snowed that night and we were warned with their hospitality.
Dave took me out to his little "factory" behind the house and spent time
explaining his vision of solar viewing in the future.
I am glad he was given thr time to see it come true.
Herb York

Old January 19th 05, 12:49 AM
Herb York

replace "warned" with "warmed"
and "thr" with "the"

Herb "proof read? what is that?" York

Old January 19th 05, 05:21 AM
CLT

and spent time
explaining his vision of solar viewing in the future.

Sad to lose him. We need more with that kind of a vision.

Clear Skies

Chuck Taylor
Do you observe the moon?

Are you interested in understanding optics?

************************************

Old January 19th 05, 10:45 AM
Mark Rosengarten

I never knew David, but his invention changed my life in a fundamental way and
for that I am forever grateful. Thank you, David, for making such a difference
in so many of our lives, and my deepest condolences to Gerry.

Mark
The Catman
^..^

www.geocities.com/mark_rosengarten
Owner/Coordinator of the Neko Ultraportable Solar Observatory
Fun WITH The Sun for Everyone!
Old January 19th 05, 11:17 AM
Paul Hyndman

David's vision opened new astronomical realms for many.

I no longer see distant stars as mere pinpoints of light, but fiery nuclear
infernos with the ever-changing activity I've seen from our sun.

Thank you David, for opening a part of the cosmos to share with us.

http://tinyurl.com/4n9ab

With sincere condolences,

Paul Hyndman

--- http://www.astro-nut.com ---

Thom Peck wrote:

I learned this morning that David Lunt, who started Coronado, passed
away the day before yesterday due to his battle against cancer.

question about filters brian Amateur Astronomy 14 July 9th 04 05:30 AM
Filter(s) for deep sky Frodo Amateur Astronomy 3 March 16th 04 09:02 PM
Filter Help!!!! Jon Yardley Astronomy Misc 2 July 26th 03 05:01 PM
Filter Help!!!! Jon Yardley Misc 2 July 26th 03 05:01 PM
LPR filters Søren Kjærsgaard Amateur Astronomy 4 July 24th 03 11:04 PM