Sunspot astrophotos

Old October 30th 03, 10:50 PM
EXT_Astro_Boy

Default Sunspot astrophotos

Hi all,

Last week before So. Cal was overcome by fire and smoke I managed to get
a few shots of the large sunspots that were visible at the time.

These were shot with my Meade ETX-105 an Orion 20mm Expanse eyepiece and
my Casio Qv3500 ex digicam.

The solar filter was hommade using Baader solar film.

Here are two of the shots:

I also noticed in 3 of my closeup images that there was apparently an
object in transit across the face of the sun. I created an animated GIF
of these three. If anyone can tell me what the object might be I'd
appreciate it.

The transit shot is he

Take a look and tell me what you think?

Thanks

Craig

Old October 30th 03, 11:08 PM
Rick

"EXT_Astro_Boy" wrote in message . net...
Hi all,

Last week before So. Cal was overcome by fire and smoke I managed to get
a few shots of the large sunspots that were visible at the time.

These were shot with my Meade ETX-105 an Orion 20mm Expanse eyepiece and
my Casio Qv3500 ex digicam.

The solar filter was hommade using Baader solar film.

Here are two of the shots:

I also noticed in 3 of my closeup images that there was apparently an
object in transit across the face of the sun. I created an animated GIF
of these three. If anyone can tell me what the object might be I'd
appreciate it.

The transit shot is he

Take a look and tell me what you think?

How long was it between each exposure? Could be a lot of things.

Rick

Old October 31st 03, 12:13 AM
Kipper

"EXT_Astro_Boy" wrote in message
. net...
Hi all,

I also noticed in 3 of my closeup images that there was apparently an
object in transit across the face of the sun. I created an animated GIF
of these three. If anyone can tell me what the object might be I'd
appreciate it.

The transit shot is he

Take a look and tell me what you think?

Aeroplane? That would show up as a fast moving black dot through the filter
paper. I ran Starry Night across the whole of sun up for 30/10 and nothing
seemed to transit (although that's no guarantee that it didn't). My
co-ordinates are almost certainly different from yours though, so if you
post date, time, longitude and latitude of the shots, I'll look again on the
off chance that SN shows anything. Looked to be too large a spot and moving
too fast to be stellar, imo.

Cheers
--
K.