Is Jupiter lower than normal from 38N? I mean...

Old July 6th 07, 04:52 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Zelda Fitzgerald

Default Is Jupiter lower than normal from 38N? I mean...

I mean it looks like it's only getting about 30 degrees above the horizon,
max. I seem to remember it being much higher in altitude in the past.
What am I missing here? Sure would be nice if it got a little higher so I
could see it a little better on these warm nights.

Zelda

Old July 6th 07, 05:06 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris L Peterson

On Thu, 05 Jul 2007 20:52:52 -0700, Zelda Fitzgerald
wrote:

I mean it looks like it's only getting about 30 degrees above the horizon,
max. I seem to remember it being much higher in altitude in the past.
What am I missing here? Sure would be nice if it got a little higher so I
could see it a little better on these warm nights.

I'm afraid you're out of luck. Consider that the planets travel along
the ecliptic. In the summer, the ecliptic is high during the day and low
at night. So planets are highest in the winter- assuming, of course,
that they are even in the sky then. Right now, Jupiter is a low summer
object in the northern hemisphere. Six years ago it was high in the
winter sky, and in six years it will be again.

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com
Old July 6th 07, 07:07 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Zelda Fitzgerald

On Fri, 06 Jul 2007 04:04:32 +0000, Sam Wormley wrote:

Zelda Fitzgerald wrote:
I mean it looks like it's only getting about 30 degrees above the horizon,
max. I seem to remember it being much higher in altitude in the past.
What am I missing here? Sure would be nice if it got a little higher so I
could see it a little better on these warm nights.

Zelda

Depends on your latitude... what *is* your latitude?

38N.
Zelda

Old July 6th 07, 01:08 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
RMOLLISE

wrote:
I mean it looks like it's only getting about 30 degrees above the horizon,
max. I seem to remember it being much higher in altitude in the past.
What am I missing here? Sure would be nice if it got a little higher so I
could see it a little better on these warm nights.

I'm afraid you're out of luck. Consider that the planets travel along
the ecliptic. In the summer, the ecliptic is high during the day and low
at night. So planets are highest in the winter- assuming, of course,
that they are even in the sky then. Right now, Jupiter is a low summer
object in the northern hemisphere. Six years ago it was high in the
winter sky, and in six years it will be again.

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatoryhttp://www.cloudbait.com

And not only that. Ol' Jupe is currently hangin' out near the Scorpius/
Ophiuchus border, which means he's gonna be low-down for many Northern
hemisphere observers.

Unk Rod

Old July 6th 07, 03:00 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
William Hamblen

On Thu, 05 Jul 2007 20:52:52 -0700, Zelda Fitzgerald
wrote:

Zelda

How's Scott doing these days?

Bud
--
The night is just the shadow of the Earth.
Old July 7th 07, 12:44 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
OG

"William Hamblen" wrote in message
On Thu, 05 Jul 2007 20:52:52 -0700, Zelda Fitzgerald
wrote:

Zelda

How's Scott doing these days?

Old July 7th 07, 03:49 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Zelda Fitzgerald

On Fri, 06 Jul 2007 09:00:49 -0500, William Hamblen wrote:

On Thu, 05 Jul 2007 20:52:52 -0700, Zelda Fitzgerald
wrote:

Zelda

How's Scott doing these days?

Bud

Hi Bud, and thanks for asking.
The news is not good. He's drinking heavily and work on The Love of The
Last Tycoon is stalled. He says he's got tuberculosis, but I'm not so
sure. Shortness of breath, chest pains, that sort of stuff. I think he
need to go on the wagon. This whole thing is driving me nuts.
Cheers,
Zelda

Normal? You betcha honestjohn Misc 0 May 28th 06 02:59 AM
normal accidents Terrell Miller Policy 2 August 3rd 05 07:39 PM
normal accidents Terrell Miller Space Shuttle 2 August 3rd 05 07:39 PM