Palgue on Palomar Mountain

Old July 5th 07, 02:36 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
William Hamblen

Default Palgue on Palomar Mountain

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/n...mi4plague.html

--
The night is just the shadow of the Earth.
Old July 5th 07, 03:17 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
mitch

"William Hamblen" wrote in message

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/n...mi4plague.html

--
The night is just the shadow of the Earth.

Bring out yer dead!..Bring out yer dead!

Old July 5th 07, 03:45 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Jim Klein

All of California and several other western states have been active
plague areas since the 1800s.

You can live your life in fear of everything dangerous like the kid I
saw with the training wheels, the helmet and his old man walking
behind the bike.

We didn't have helmets when I was a kid and no one died falling off
their bike. We fed wild animals in Griffith park and no one got sick.

I guess you can live life and have fun or be a pussy and worry about
germs on your kitchen counter.

Jim Klein
James E. Klein

Engineering Calculations
http://www.ecalculations.com

Engineering Calculations is the home of
the KDP-2 Optical Design Program
for Windows.
1-818-507-5706 (Voice and Fax)
1-818-823-4121

"KDP2, not quite easy enough for a Caveman to use" :-)
Old July 5th 07, 05:28 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
[email protected]

We didn't have helmets when I was a kid and no one died
falling off their bike.

A profoundly bad example of a generally valid principle.

My 10-year-old cousin died in a bicycle accident. I don't know if a
helmet would have saved his life, but helmets increase your chances of
survival hugely.

Bicycling is indeed dangerous, and there's really not much excuse for
not wearing a helmet when there's essentially no downside to doing so.
I speak as somebody who's bicycled nearly every day for 40 years, and
switched to wearing a helmet just 12 years ago.

On the other hand, I continue to walk through tall grass and woodlands
despite the fact that the chances of my contracting Lyme disease from
doing so are quite significant. I've removed many deer ticks before
they dug in, but some day I'm sure to miss one. I know many people who
have contracted Lyme disease, and one who had severe problems from it.
But there's no way to minimize this particular risk without severely
crimping my lifestyle.

Old July 5th 07, 06:35 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Davoud[_1_]

Jim Klein:
We didn't have helmets when I was a kid and no one died
falling off their bike.

A profoundly bad example of a generally valid principle.

My 10-year-old cousin died in a bicycle accident. I don't know if a
helmet would have saved his life, but helmets increase your chances of
survival hugely.

Not very many kids died falling off their bikes, but a few did, and a
few is too many when the means of reducing such deaths is simple and
inexpensive.

Still, I like two things that George Carlin said about helmets:
1) "I'm desperately trying to figure out why Kamikaze pilots wore
helmets."
2) "We make kids wear helmets for everything but self abuse."

On the other hand, I continue to walk through tall grass and woodlands
despite the fact that the chances of my contracting Lyme disease from
doing so are quite significant. I've removed many deer ticks before
they dug in, but some day I'm sure to miss one. I know many people who
have contracted Lyme disease, and one who had severe problems from it.
But there's no way to minimize this particular risk without severely
crimping my lifestyle.

I would ask myself which would crimp my lifestyle more -- walking
somewhere else, or contracting Lyme disease. I used to spend time in
the woods at my wife's farm. I even once thought of putting my
observatory in a clearing. No more. Like you, I know many people who
have contracted Lyme, and at least one who has serious problems as a
result of it.

Practically everyone in the Eastern U.S. is at risk; it's not
surprising to see a deer walking down the street in Baltimore or
Washington (in my experience) and probably other cities these days.
It's a question of lowering the risk; I don't think one can do any more
than that. I don't have an answer (though in Pennsylvania (highest deer
population in the U.S.) and other Mid-Atlantic states, reducing the
deer population by half or more would benefit everyone from farmers to
city school kids. And I'm not even a hunter.

Davoud

--
usenet *at* davidillig dawt com
Old July 5th 07, 07:42 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Craig

Here's one for you...
--
Remove My_Skin to E-mail me.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/n...4-9999-1mi4pla

Old July 5th 07, 11:19 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Marty

Bring out yer dead!..Bring out yer dead!

That's a nice service. I hate to leave them laying around the house.
Marty

Old July 6th 07, 03:26 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
[email protected]

On Jul 5, 7:45 am, Jim Klein wrote:
All of California and several other western states have been active
plague areas since the 1800s.

You can live your life in fear of everything dangerous like the kid I
saw with the training wheels, the helmet and his old man walking
behind the bike.

We didn't have helmets when I was a kid and no one died falling off
their bike. We fed wild animals in Griffith park and no one got sick.

I guess you can live life and have fun or be a pussy and worry about
germs on your kitchen counter.

Heh, heh! Sounds like you'd enjoy reading the following that was sent
to me a few months ago:

http://thadlabs.com/FILES/We_Made_It.txt [only 3 KB]

Old July 6th 07, 04:36 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Jim Klein

I agree. I've seen it before. It is true.

Maybe the kids with helmets never learned to roll when they fell down.

And we wonder why there are so many cry babys running off to a lawyer
because they are too stupid to use common sense.

And the ones who did die from accidents. I'm sure the parents felt bad
but some of it is natural selection.

Spend a gozillion dollars replacing a genetically deficient heart
every five years so the little bugger can grow up to make more broken
babies.

Does not make a hell of a lot of sense.

Jim

Old July 6th 07, 12:20 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Matthew Ota[_1_]

On Jul 5, 10:35 am, Davoud wrote:

Still, I like two things that George Carlin said about helmets:
1) "I'm desperately trying to figure out why Kamikaze pilots wore
helmets."
2) "We make kids wear helmets for everything but self abuse."

Kamikaze pilots did not wear helmets. They wore standard eather flight
caps to keep their heads warm, and they also wore a hachimaki headband
for good fortune.
Carlin was in error