Delta 4 Heavy Catches Fire

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old January 22nd 11, 08:17 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Vincent D DeSimone[_2_]

Default Delta 4 Heavy Catches Fire

Did anyone happen to see the recent launch of the Delta 4 Heavy from
Vandenberg on YouTube? I thought I noticed flames licking up the side
of the rocket shortly after ignition. It looked as if the yellow/
brown insulating material (which looks the same as the one used on the
space shuttle) had caught fire. See:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGUF1...eature=related

Now, I spotted on Spaceflight Now pictures of the launch that clearly
show a major fire taking place. See:

http://spaceflightnow.com/delta/d352/launch/

The flames had burned the material surrounding one of the core
boosters black and the other two were scorched badly. I'm surprised
that none of the news sites are mentioning this at all. Certainly the
military is not saying anything about it.

I don't remember this happening on any other Delta 4 Heavy launch. It
certainly hasn't happened to the shuttle (if the material is the same).

The Delta V Heavy kT Space Station 47 December 2nd 07 10:07 PM
The Delta V Heavy kT Policy 53 December 2nd 07 10:07 PM
Since Boeing and LM are partnering 50/50 and Boeing already has Delta IV Heavy does that mean we'll never see the Atlas V Heavy? D. Scott Ferrin History 5 May 6th 05 05:34 PM
Delta IV Heavy: Heavy Enough for Mars Damon Hill Policy 1 December 22nd 04 08:39 PM
Delta-IV Heavy First Flight Status & Delta-IV Growth Options Iain Young Policy 6 August 14th 04 09:37 PM