Nor Cal Flooding

Old December 31st 05, 03:50 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Default Nor Cal Flooding

I am listening to a scanner. The police and fire are overwhelmed.
There is currently 3 feet of water rushing down Park Road in Fairfax,
the street I live on. I have about 6" of water in my garage, and it seems
to be rising--hard to tell.
Marin County, north of San Francisco is treading water. Highway 101, the
busiest state route is closed.
This may be the last dispatch from here for awhile. I hope not, but you
never know. I'm boiling water for drinking, in case the utilities go out.
Mercifully, they've remained on thusfar. At 4am I was awakened by heavy
rain. Looked outside to see the street had literally become a river.
Just managed to get my truck to higher ground (not much higher, but
enough so far.), by wading through thigh deep water.
This is as bad or worse than the flooding we had in 1982, and unless I'm
sadly mistaken, we will be featured on the nightly news in your town.

There are a lot of evacuations going on here. It is literally women and
children first. Elderly. (all this via police scanner).
Troubling thing is, the rain has not abated at all, though there is hope
by this afternoon it may back of to showers.

I certainly hope that 20" Cassegrain was worth all the trouble you caused
here in California.

;-)

Ya gotta have a laugh sometimes in situations like this!

Getting ready to move to Idaho...
Uncle Bob
Fairfax, CA

Old December 31st 05, 04:06 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

I just returned from visiting my aunts in the Idaho panhandle. There you may not have 3
feet of water in the street but you may get enough snow to cover the fences. Not this
year, though. All it did was drizzle for 8 days. My aunts said that it was in the 20's
before that. However, spring and summer are very nice. The Couer d'Alene/Hayden area is
becoming crowded - lots of traffic. I think the nearest 'scope store in in Missoula, MT.

Old December 31st 05, 04:45 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

"Uncle Bob" wrote in message
news
I am listening to a scanner. The police and fire are overwhelmed.
There is currently 3 feet of water rushing down Park Road in Fairfax,
the street I live on. I have about 6" of water in my garage, and it seems
to be rising--hard to tell.

snippage of much scary stuff

I'll keep various appendage crossed for you.

Old December 31st 05, 05:11 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

"Uncle Bob" wrote in message
news
[...]

Uncle Bob:

Having gone through Hurricane Katrina, I know what you are going through and
it ain't fun. Be prepared for a wrestling match with your insurance
company -- and you will lose.

Wish I had better news. Cut your losses, pack it up, and get out.

----------------

After I started doing the important things, I found that I had lots of time.

Old December 31st 05, 05:37 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

I hope you've got your scopes and computers to a dry place. It's cloudy
here, but not a drop of rain so far.

Yesterday I took a bag of steer manure out and spread it in my garden, as
it's suppost to be weted down, normaly the act of doing that stops the rain
from falling and I've got another bag at the ready for today.

Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord
Astronomy Net Online Gift Shop
http://www.cafepress.com/astronomy_net
In Garden Online Gift Shop
http://www.cafepress.com/ingarden
Blast Off Online Gift Shop
http://www.cafepress.com/starlords

news

Old December 31st 05, 06:45 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

On Sat, 31 Dec 2005 08:37:37 -0800, Starlord wrote:

I hope you've got your scopes and computers to a dry place. It's cloudy
here, but not a drop of rain so far.

Yesterday I took a bag of steer manure out and spread it in my garden, as
it's suppost to be weted down, normaly the act of doing that stops the rain
from falling and I've got another bag at the ready for today.

Hey--
I had to disassemble the big dob to carry it upstairs, but it remained
mostly dry. At the height of the flooding this morning, someone's
Accura was floating down the street.
The flooding seems to have coincided with local high tide, and another
one is due in an hour and a half (11am pst). The good news is that as
far as I can tell, the rain has diminished. I took a walk downtown, and
shot some pics. I'll post them on the website when my batteries are
re-charged.
I got off very lucky. Many of my neighbors have lost their vehicles and
anything that was at ground level. The downtown shops are all mudded up
for the most part. What is heartening is that many of the townspeople are
pitching in to help the shopkeepers push the mud out into the street.
People are really pitching in. There are some young guys just walking
around with shovels clearing storm drains, as the city hall/fire
dept/police had two feet of water in the building (got pix of that).
I ran into the mayor of Fairfax walking downtown by himself, checking
into shops to see if they were damaged. He's just a working guy who
happens to be the mayor...and it was obvious that he really cared about
the town...all politics (local as they are) aside.
So the only thing in my garage that really got ruined was a couple of
sheets of MDF board that were propped up against the wall. Not bad.
We'll see how the rest of the weekend goes.
I think I'll throw a pajama party for the neighbors and we can all hang
out and drink champagne or apple cider and stay close to home this new
year's eve.
Happy New Year
Uncle Bob
Park Road (sometimes a navigable waterway)
Fairfax, CA
Old December 31st 05, 07:39 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Starlord wrote:
I hope you've got your scopes and computers to a dry place. It's cloudy
here, but not a drop of rain so far.

Yesterday I took a bag of steer manure out and spread it in my garden, as
it's suppost to be weted down, normaly the act of doing that stops the rain
from falling and I've got another bag at the ready for today.

Steer manu Isn't that the polite name for BS?

Dennis, you've just admitted to slinging you-know-what :-)

Seriously, now raining lightly in the L.A. (South Bay) area. We aren't
expected to get much today .. but much more on Monday or so. By then, I
may wish for a little BS myself: I will start on that project now :-)

I worry for my friends who have a farm a few miles east of Santa Rosa.
You drive *down* from the highway to their house, which is along a
(nomrally) small creek. During the last storm a couple of weeks ago
they had 4-5" of water in their garage. Fortunately, it is a tri-level
house, with maybe 25% at garage level. Not so fortunately: They are
visiting relatives near San Diego this weekend, and have left someone of
limited capability to feed the animals (goats, shhep, llamas, chickens,
etc.).

Phil
Old December 31st 05, 09:19 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Starlord wrote:
I hope you've got your scopes and computers to a dry place. It's cloudy
here, but not a drop of rain so far.

Yesterday I took a bag of steer manure out and spread it in my garden, as
it's suppost to be weted down, normaly the act of doing that stops the rain
from falling and I've got another bag at the ready for today.

It's dumping here now. Thanks Phil!

Greg

--
"All my time I spent in heaven
Revelries of dance and wine
Old December 31st 05, 09:29 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

G.T. wrote:

It's dumping here now. Thanks Phil!

We can't be more than 15 miles apart by crow .. and it has rained but
little here. I guess being close the mountains makes La Canada much
rainier.

Phil
Old December 31st 05, 09:31 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Long before I ever got into Astronomy, I was doing gardening. If I can't
make something grow it just can't grow at all. I have a garden area ( not
all used ) in the field next door that's at lest 100ft x 150ft and I have at
lest 200+ Iris and 100+ I.Canna growing plus my Bamboo patch too. I've
thrown a lot of BS over the long years. As a kid when we lived in West L.A.
I helped tent to some 200 Rose's my folks had growing around the land we
lived on.