ASTRO: Arp 100

Old January 4th 09, 03:55 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default ASTRO: Arp 100

I've been neglecting Arp galaxies of late. Not that I haven't been
taking them, just that I've been processing other objects of late. I
have a pretty good backlog of Arp galaxies to work on. Just haven't
been working on them.

So for those who have been asking for them here's one for your
consideration.

Arp 100 is a pair of interacting galaxies, IC 18 and IC 19. Arp
classified it under "spiral with elliptical galaxy companion". IC 18 is
the interesting one. Probably an Sb galaxy before it had the misfortune
of meeting up with IC 19. The passage drew out two tidal arms. IC 19
is a typical elliptical with sufficient mass and density that it was
little distorted by the passage. It is the galaxy south and a bit east
of IC 18. The pair are about 260 to 280 million light years from us.
IC 18 without its tidal arms is only about 35 million light years
across, a small spiral galaxy. With its tidal arms it is almost 220,000
light years across!

Between the two but far more distant is APMUKS(BJ) B002603.91-115232.3.
I can find no distance data on it. That is the case with almost all
the other galaxies in this image. The only one I could find anything on
was LEDA 1719. This is the bright elliptical nearly directly west
(right) of IC 18 and just above a bright star. It shows a red shift
light travel distance of 275 million light years. So may be related to
the two galaxies known as Arp 100. If you look closely you'll see many
of the "stars" in this image are fuzzy and thus really very distant
galaxies, nearly all uncataloged.

Rick

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ARP100L4X10RGN2X10X3R.jpg
Views:	396
Size:	169.1 KB
ID:	2296
Old January 5th 09, 09:46 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Rick Johnson wrote:
IC
18 without its tidal arms is only about 35 million light years across, a
small spiral galaxy. With its tidal arms it is almost 220,000 light
years across!

Oops. Let's correct that to read:
IC 18 without its tidal arms is only about 35 THOUSAND light years

Old January 9th 09, 07:45 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Great picture Rick. This is an interesting pair. Very good detail for such a
southern object.

Stefan

ster.com...