ASTRO: Supernova SN 2008bt in Galaxy NGC 3404

Old May 2nd 08, 12:58 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
George Normandin[_1_]

Default ASTRO: Supernova SN 2008bt in Galaxy NGC 3404

Image taken with SBIG STL-1301E thru an OGS 20-inch F/8 RC Cass at 2:30 UT
on May 1, 2008. My focus was a little off on this one and a sattlite when
thru one of the eleven 60 second subexposures.

SN 2008bt is a type Ia and I measured it at magnitude 16.3.

NGC 3404 (aka IC 2609) is not much of a galaxy for small telescopes at
magnitude 14 and 2 arc minutes. The type is uncertain, but is probably a
barred spiral seen edge-on.

For more info see: http://www.kopernik.org/images/archive/n3404.htm

George N

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	n3404.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	118.0 KB
ID:	1890
Old May 2nd 08, 05:28 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Doug W.

That's one of those where the SN puts out more light then the galaxy....
almost anyway...

--
Regards, Doug W.
www.photonsfate.com

Old May 2nd 08, 08:44 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_3_]

George Normandin wrote:
Image taken with SBIG STL-1301E thru an OGS 20-inch F/8 RC Cass at 2:30 UT
on May 1, 2008. My focus was a little off on this one and a sattlite when
thru one of the eleven 60 second subexposures.

SN 2008bt is a type Ia and I measured it at magnitude 16.3.

NGC 3404 (aka IC 2609) is not much of a galaxy for small telescopes at
magnitude 14 and 2 arc minutes. The type is uncertain, but is probably a
barred spiral seen edge-on.

For more info see: http://www.kopernik.org/images/archive/n3404.htm

George N

All's right with the world again. George is imaging SN in faint fuzzies.

I should check for these guys more often but right now just finding a
night to image is a once a month event.

Rick

Old May 3rd 08, 01:11 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Richard Crisp

that's very nice George.

You always find the "topical" stuff. Ijust shoot the old static stuff out
there.

Old May 3rd 08, 05:37 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
George Normandin[_1_]

"Rick Johnson" wrote

All's right with the world again. George is imaging SN in faint fuzzies.

I tried for two more SNs that night. One was 'gone', and the second was
almost gone and the image data was poor. Hopefully I'll have more time for
these in the future and the scope & camera will perform.

George N

Old May 3rd 08, 05:42 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
George Normandin[_1_]

"Stefan Lilge" wrote
Nice picture. This seems to be a rather faint SN.

Stefan,

It's a Type Ia (old white dwarf that got too heavy) in an edge-on barred
spiral galaxy. It must be buried in the bar so we are seeing it thru most of
the outer disk of the galaxy - all of that gas & dust is in the way. If NGC
3404 was face-on I bet this SN would appear a lot brighter.

George N