Telescope insurance

Old March 22nd 07, 12:47 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Florian[_3_]

Default Telescope insurance

A friend posted this an astro email list today...

http://www.scaryideas.com/video/1687/

;-)

..Florian

Old March 22nd 07, 02:17 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Starlord

Hate to think what they'd charge for a good size mirror on a telescope used
for sidewalk astronomy

--
There are those who believe that life here, began out there, far across the
universe, with tribes of humans, who may have been the forefathers of the

Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord
Sidewalk Astronomy
www.sidewalkastronomy.info
The Church of Eternity
http://home.inreach.com/starlord/church/Eternity.html

Old March 22nd 07, 03:26 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Florian[_3_]

Hate to think what they'd charge for a good size mirror on a telescope used
for sidewalk astronomy

Probably a lot less than the one shown in the video.

..Florian

Old March 22nd 07, 11:14 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Edward Erbeck

Florian wrote:

A friend posted this an astro email list today...

http://www.scaryideas.com/video/1687/

;-)

That's Funny!

Crazy Ed

Old March 22nd 07, 02:21 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Shawn[_5_]

Florian wrote:

A friend posted this an astro email list today...

http://www.scaryideas.com/video/1687/

;-)

Similar insurance related, but not telescope. A favorite on the glider ng.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMthR2YQO7E

Shawn
Old March 22nd 07, 03:27 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
whowell

Starlord wrote:
Hate to think what they'd charge for a good size mirror on a telescope used
for sidewalk astronomy

Telescope insurance is relatively cheap.....I have my 18", all
eyepieces, binos, books and everything else related to observing insured
for theft, loss, damage, accidents to and from observing, etc. for
$106/year.

Wayne Howell
Photon Phlats Observatory
Port Townsend, WA
Old March 22nd 07, 04:20 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Starlord

It's added onto your home insurance isn't it? I've head of a lot of stuff
going there, the only thing I have insurance on is my dead car and that's
because I can move the insurance over to another car with one phone call.
Ofcouce if some nut case goes out by my garden and takes a head on into my
car, at lest it's covered.

--

"whowell" wrote in message
news:0q2dnSpq1cjBPZ_bnZ2dnUVZ_uejnZ2d@cablespeedwa .com...

Old March 22nd 07, 05:20 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Mij Adyaw

I understand that during the construction of the 200 inch telescope at Mount
Palomar, a disgruntled employee shot the mirror with a gun, but the damage
was not severe enough to adversely affect the image. If they had purchased
telescope insurance they could have replaced the mirror or at least had one
of those guys that fixes cracks in car windshields come fix it. :-)

Old March 22nd 07, 06:15 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Craig

Actually I think you are thinking of the McDonald Obsveratory in Texas.

--
Remove My_Skin to E-mail me.

Old March 22nd 07, 06:44 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Starlord

ya, I've read the history and seen the photos of the 100 inch mirror on
Mt.Wilson and nothing happened up there and it would have been very costly
to replace that mirror as it was made in france.