OT - Firefox web browser

Old November 10th 04, 12:07 AM
Matthew Maddock

Default OT - Firefox web browser

I just downloaded the latest browser from Mozilla - Firefox.

It's bloody brilliant! Got their mail client (Thunderbird) as well.

Was designed by the bloke who started Netscape. The tabbed
web browsing is a great feature nicked from Netscape. It's
only a 4.5Mb download - unlike IE - 20Mb! Seems to run
fairly light too.

Anyone else using this yet?

This is not an advert! Just thought anyone fed up with IE would
like to try it. BBC have been raving about it on their Tech page,
which is where I found out about it.

Matt

Old November 10th 04, 12:19 AM
Jonathan Silverlight

In message , Matthew
Maddock writes
I just downloaded the latest browser from Mozilla - Firefox.

It's bloody brilliant! Got their mail client (Thunderbird) as well.

Was designed by the bloke who started Netscape. The tabbed
web browsing is a great feature nicked from Netscape. It's
only a 4.5Mb download - unlike IE - 20Mb! Seems to run
fairly light too.

Anyone else using this yet?

I've tried plain Mozilla, but Firefox is now my browser of choice. I
like its password saving facility, for instance.
--
What have they got to hide? Release the ESA Beagle 2 report.
Old November 10th 04, 02:31 AM
Tim Auton

"Matthew Maddock" wrote:

I just downloaded the latest browser from Mozilla - Firefox.

It's bloody brilliant! Got their mail client (Thunderbird) as well.

Was designed by the bloke who started Netscape. The tabbed
web browsing is a great feature nicked from Netscape.

Nicked from Netscape? I think Opera had it first. Netscape created the
Mozilla project anyway. They open-sourced the Netscape code (after
Microsoft crushed them). The developers figured the existing code
sucked, so started more or less from scratch. It took them a long
time, but they now make the best, most standards-compliant browser in
the world. It runs on everything: Windows, Linux, Mac, Solaris, BSD...
All Netscape releases since 4.x have been Mozilla code, with Netscape
icons. The Mozilla releases were more frequent and typically ahead of
Netscape by 6 months or so.

Anyone else using this yet?

I've been using Mozilla in some form or other for 4 years or so.
Initially it was good, but buggy and bloated. Now it's rock-solid and
compact. Mozilla, Firefox and Thunderbird are all great. If you've
never used tabbed browsing your life sucks and you don't even know it.

Tabbed browsing and no annoying popups are reason enough to try it.

Tim
--
Anyone who qualifies their comments with "just my
two cents" is usually over-valuing their contribution.
Old November 10th 04, 08:52 AM
Ed

"Matthew Maddock" wrote:

I just downloaded the latest browser from Mozilla - Firefox.

It's bloody brilliant! Got their mail client (Thunderbird) as well.

Was designed by the bloke who started Netscape. The tabbed
web browsing is a great feature nicked from Netscape. It's
only a 4.5Mb download - unlike IE - 20Mb! Seems to run
fairly light too.

It's only 4.5 MB because it re-uses the Java and other plug-ins that
were already installed on your system by IE. It is quite heavy on
resources on my system -- it uses substantially more CPU power and
RAM than the original IE 5.01 does on Windows 2000. However, I
agree that it is a very good browser and suits me much more than
Opera did.

Old November 10th 04, 09:09 AM
David Harris

Ed wrote:

"Matthew Maddock" wrote:

I just downloaded the latest browser from Mozilla - Firefox.

It's bloody brilliant! Got their mail client (Thunderbird) as well.

Was designed by the bloke who started Netscape. The tabbed
web browsing is a great feature nicked from Netscape. It's
only a 4.5Mb download - unlike IE - 20Mb! Seems to run
fairly light too.

It's only 4.5 MB because it re-uses the Java and other plug-ins that
were already installed on your system by IE. It is quite heavy on
resources on my system -- it uses substantially more CPU power and
RAM than the original IE 5.01 does on Windows 2000. However, I
agree that it is a very good browser and suits me much more than
Opera did.

I about to start trialing it. I noted recently in my webcounter stats that over 14% of visitors to
my two websites were using FF, and thats a pretty strong recommendation..... IE still has over 75%
of course, but thats "Joe Public" who probably knows of nothing else.

DH

Old November 10th 04, 01:08 PM
Phil

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 00:07:26 +0000, Matthew Maddock wrote:

I just downloaded the latest browser from Mozilla - Firefox.

It's bloody brilliant! Got their mail client (Thunderbird) as well.

Was designed by the bloke who started Netscape. The tabbed
web browsing is a great feature nicked from Netscape. It's
only a 4.5Mb download - unlike IE - 20Mb! Seems to run
fairly light too.

Anyone else using this yet?

This is not an advert! Just thought anyone fed up with IE would
like to try it. BBC have been raving about it on their Tech page,
which is where I found out about it.

Matt

Been my browser of choice in it's various forms for last couple of years
ever since I got fed up with Microsofts lack of security and
general inability to produce good software.Started off with Mozilla as
my browser and mail client on my Windows box, and migrated to Firebird
and Thunderbird when they were first split off. Have kept up with all the
releases, and when I decided to use Linux as my window onto the web it
was the first thing I installed.
Over the last few months, usage has shot up, particularly after a big
security problem when a US department advised people to stop using IE and
switch to Opera or Firefox (and it then transpired that Microsoft's head
of security was a Firefox user!)
Phil
Old November 10th 04, 02:12 PM
Martin Frey

"Matthew Maddock" wrote:

I just downloaded the latest browser from Mozilla - Firefox.

It's bloody brilliant! Got their mail client (Thunderbird) as well.

Looks the business on first try. Thanks!

Was designed by the bloke who started Netscape. The tabbed
web browsing is a great feature nicked from Netscape. It's
only a 4.5Mb download - unlike IE - 20Mb! Seems to run
fairly light too.

Mine wanted to download Java before it would work any applets - and
that was a heavy one for my dial-up connection.

I'm trying Thunderbird as well and did a much better job of importing
my messages and address books from Outlook than Eudora does. It looks
good except it dials up every time I click send on a newly composed
email. Outlook batches them up automatically. Anyone know how to make
Thunderbird wait until I've finished composing several emails before
it tries to go on line? Help is a) online and b) pretty sketchy.

-----------------------------
Martin Frey
http://www.hadastro.org.uk
N 51 01 52.2 E 0 47 21.1
-----------------------------
Old November 10th 04, 02:23 PM
Jo

In ,
Martin Frey typed:

I'm trying Thunderbird as well and did a much better job of importing
my messages and address books from Outlook than Eudora does. It looks
good except it dials up every time I click send on a newly composed
email. Outlook batches them up automatically. Anyone know how to make
Thunderbird wait until I've finished composing several emails before
it tries to go on line? Help is a) online and b) pretty sketchy.

I'm afraid that Thunderbird 0.9 does not have an outbox. For me that is a
showstopper for now. I really like the rest of Thunderbird and if V1.0 has a
built-in outbox then I shall certainly use it.

There was an Outbox add-on for earlier versions but that is broken on 0.9

Jo

Old November 10th 04, 02:26 PM
Jo

In ,
Matthew Maddock typed:

Anyone else using this yet?

Yes, I'm trying it and I love it. Haven't set it as my default just yet but
may do soon. The only negative is that it doesn't support ActiveX

Then again, that might be a positive :-)

Jo