(OT) "Roundabout" question

Old January 26th 04, 06:16 AM
Stephen Tonkin

Mark McIntyre wrote:
Oh, I dunno about that - I've always found it surprisingly easy to swap
sides when going to the continent.

Ditto. My biggest problems come after a few months of driving on the
"wrong" side, when I have been known to blissfully drive on the left
when there is no other traffic, then ask myself "what the hell does he
think he's doing" when I find something coming towards me. So far I have
always realised my error in time...

Best,
Stephen

Remove footfrommouth to reply

--
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
+ Stephen Tonkin | ATM Resources; Astro-Tutorials; Astro Books +
Old January 26th 04, 10:10 AM
Barry Sharpe

Probably best to avoid Hemel Hempstead and the "magic roundabout".
This roundabout can be traversed in both directions, clockwise and
anticlockwise. It scares the hell out of people when they first come
across it..

but it does have a certain logic to it.

Best
Barry

Remove the "1nospam2" to reply to me
Old January 26th 04, 12:03 PM
Martin

"Subz" wrote in message
"Stephen Tonkin" wrote in message
Mark McIntyre wrote:
Oh, I dunno about that - I've always found it surprisingly easy to swap
sides when going to the continent.

Ditto. My biggest problems come after a few months of driving on the
"wrong" side, when I have been known to blissfully drive on the left
when there is no other traffic, then ask myself "what the hell does he
think he's doing" when I find something coming towards me. So far I have
always realised my error in time...

Best,
Stephen

Remove footfrommouth to reply

Ah... So that's why the guy in the metallic blue Beamer last week was
heading towards me down a country lane on my side of the road. He must

have
been overseas for a while. And I thought he was just being a ****. Silly

me.
;o)

Cheers,
Subz

No! didn't you know that it states in the owners manual of a BMW that you
are entitled to ALL of the road at anytime.

Martin

Old January 26th 04, 12:05 PM
Martin

"Barry Sharpe" wrote in message
om...
Probably best to avoid Hemel Hempstead and the "magic roundabout".
This roundabout can be traversed in both directions, clockwise and
anticlockwise. It scares the hell out of people when they first come
across it..

but it does have a certain logic to it.

Best
Barry

Remove the "1nospam2" to reply to me

Yes, I seem to remember there were a load of mini roundabouts all grouped
together outside Edinburgh on the way to the Forth Road bridge. Are they
still there?

Martin

Old January 26th 04, 12:10 PM
Martin

For those who are interested in why we Brits (and many others) actually
drive on the correct side of the road, click the link. Bound to star some
arguments I'm sure!!

Martin

http://www.2pass.co.uk/goodluck.htm

Old January 26th 04, 12:40 PM
Philippe Gautier

Martin wrote:

Yes, I seem to remember there were a load of mini roundabouts all grouped
together outside Edinburgh on the way to the Forth Road bridge. Are they
still there?

Martin

They finally replaced them with traffic lights. As a "continental"
driver, I was so scared to drive through there when I moved in Edinburgh!

Philippe

Old January 26th 04, 02:08 PM
Martin Frey

"Martin" wrote:

Yes, BMW & Volvo drivers just drive in the middle lane all the time. We call
them "******s" here in the UK. And there are a lot of them on the
Motorways!!

Martin

The police, I'm told, call them CLODs - centre lane only drivers

--
Martin Frey
http://www.hadastro.org.uk
Old January 26th 04, 03:10 PM
Mike Murphy

On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 06:16:35 +0000, Stephen Tonkin
wrote:
My biggest problems come after a few months of driving on the
"wrong" side, when I have been known to blissfully drive on the left
when there is no other traffic, then ask myself "what the hell does he
think he's doing" when I find something coming towards me. So far I have
always realised my error in time...

On our way up through Scotland last year for the annular eclipse, we
were driving through the highlands and I was tempted to overtake a
slowish car on a straight section of road. Something made me hold back
and I dropped back to a more reasonable following distance. Within
seconds an oncoming car appeared and as it approached the car in front
of me it swerved over the road from left to (his) right and collided
with the car in front. Fortunately the driver of the car in front saw
the accident developing and steered (correctly) to the left but this
just made the oncoming car swerve even more. They collided quite
slowly in the end on the left hand verge and nobody was injured. I
managed to emergency stop behind all this. We proceeded on out way,
carefully looking out for hire cars driven by Americans.

- Mike

safely home now