Nuclear detonation inside the sun

Old April 6th 04, 07:05 PM
Henry Spencer

Default Nuclear detonation inside the sun

In article ,
Keith Harwood wrote:
...The other reactions in the proton-proton chain are not exactly
speed demons either...

What happened to the old carbon cycle? Last I heard it only mattered in
stars smaller than the sun, but I never found out why?

Contrariwise, if I'm remembering correctly -- it is significant only in
big stars, because normal-sized stars don't get hot enough for it to
proceed at a significant rate.
--
MOST launched 30 June; science observations running | Henry Spencer
since Oct; first surprises seen; papers pending. |
Old April 6th 04, 10:27 PM
Marshall Perrin

Henry Spencer wrote:
In article ,
Keith Harwood wrote:
...The other reactions in the proton-proton chain are not exactly
speed demons either...

What happened to the old carbon cycle? Last I heard it only mattered in
stars smaller than the sun, but I never found out why?

Contrariwise, if I'm remembering correctly -- it is significant only in
big stars, because normal-sized stars don't get hot enough for it to
proceed at a significant rate.

Bigger than the sun, but not much bigger. The CNO cycle becomes dominant for
core temperatures above 30 million degrees or so, and due to its extremely high
temperature dependence (about T^20, as opposed to T^6 for the p-p chain), it
very rapidly comes to entirely dominate stellar energy production once you pass
that temperature threshold. For the sun, the CNO cycle contributes no more than
a percent or two of the total energy output, but by 1.5 solar masses it gives
half the luminosity and by 1.7 solar masses essentially the entire luminosity.

Physically, the CNO cycle is a much harder reaction to get going than the p-p chain,
due to the tremendous energy needed to overcome the Coulomb barrier between
a nitrogen nucleus and a proton. It's not just 7 times harder (as one might naiively
expect) but dozens or hundreds of times harder, because nuclear fusion proceeds by
quantum tunnelling, which depends exponentially on the potential barrier.
Conditions which would allow the CNO cycle to proceed for fusion power are
thus almost certainly orders of magnitude harder to achieve than proton-proton reactions.

- Marshall

Old April 7th 04, 12:50 AM
Paul F. Dietz

Henry Spencer wrote:

Contrariwise, if I'm remembering correctly -- it is significant only in
big stars, because normal-sized stars don't get hot enough for it to
proceed at a significant rate.

However, because the reaction on C has the lowest barrier, there's
almost no carbon in the center of the Sun (it's all been turned into
nitrogen.)

Paul
Old April 7th 04, 12:53 AM
Paul F. Dietz

Marshall Perrin wrote:

Conditions which would allow the CNO cycle to proceed for fusion power are
thus almost certainly orders of magnitude harder to achieve than proton-proton reactions.

That is not at all clear. Manmade CNO would probably be *pycno*nuclear, not
thermonuclear. Compress hydrogen + heavy elements to very high density, but
keep it cold so electron screening is more effective. Under those conditions,
fusion on C/N/O would be faster than p+p.

There have been projections that H + D fusion can be made to go in cold
( 1000 K) hydrogen at 20 g/cm^3. It may be feasible to reach these conditions
used precompressed solid hydrogen that is further compressed by dozens
of weak shocks.

Paul