SS1 flight set for June 21

Old June 2nd 04, 10:05 PM
Hop David

Default SS1 flight set for June 21

http://www.space.com/missionlaunches...te_040602.html

--
Hop David
http://clowder.net/hop/index.html

Old June 2nd 04, 11:29 PM
Joe Strout

Hop David wrote:

http://www.space.com/missionlaunches...te_040602.html

Hot damn! The X-Prize will be won in less than three weeks. This will
be a historic occasion.

More details (from spacetoday.net):

"SpaceShipOne... will fly into space for the first time on Monday, June
21, the company announced Wednesday. SpaceShipOne will fly to an
altitude of at least 100 kilometers, a widely-accepted boundary of
space, on the flight. ... The pilot of SpaceShipOne on this flight will
be announced at a later date; Brian Binnie and Mike Melvill have both
flown SpaceShipOne on powered test flights previously. ... Wednesday's
announcement is a break in the tight veil of secrecy that has surrounded
the program during its development and previous test flights, which have
not been previously announced to the public. Scaled said the public will
be invited to witness this flight."

| Joseph J. Strout Check out the Mac Web Directory: |
| http://www.macwebdir.com |
Old June 2nd 04, 11:34 PM
Joe Strout

Joe Strout wrote:

Hot damn! The X-Prize will be won in less than three weeks. This will
be a historic occasion.

Correction: they won't be quite winning the X-Prize on June 21; to do
that, they have to fly twice in two weeks. But I think we're all agreed
that this will be pretty much a formality after the 100 km flight.

Best,
- Joe

Old June 2nd 04, 11:46 PM
Derek Lyons

Joe Strout wrote:

In article ,
Hop David wrote:

http://www.space.com/missionlaunches...te_040602.html

Hot damn! The X-Prize will be won in less than three weeks. This will
be a historic occasion.

Nope. The June 21 attempt will not meet the requirements of an
X-Prize flight.

D.
--
Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.
Old June 3rd 04, 12:05 AM
Doug...

says...
In article ,
Hop David wrote:

http://www.space.com/missionlaunches...te_040602.html

Hot damn! The X-Prize will be won in less than three weeks. This will
be a historic occasion.

No, if the June 21 date holds, the X Prize will be won in no more than
five weeks. You don't win the prize until/unless you make a second
flight within two weeks of the first flight.

Doug

Old June 3rd 04, 12:12 AM
Herb Schaltegger

Joe Strout wrote:

In article ,
Joe Strout wrote:

Hot damn! The X-Prize will be won in less than three weeks. This will
be a historic occasion.

Correction: they won't be quite winning the X-Prize on June 21; to do
that, they have to fly twice in two weeks. But I think we're all agreed
that this will be pretty much a formality after the 100 km flight.

Best,
- Joe

Actually, no. They have to do it with triple the payload: three people,
not just one pilot. And they have to do it again within two weeks, not
a month or two (or three) between each flight.

--
Herb Schaltegger, B.S., J.D.
Reformed Aerospace Engineer
Old June 3rd 04, 12:23 AM
Christopher M. Jones

Derek Lyons wrote:
Joe Strout wrote:
Hot damn! The X-Prize will be won in less than three weeks. This will
be a historic occasion.

Nope. The June 21 attempt will not meet the requirements of an
X-Prize flight.

Perhaps it's just sloppy wording on your part but this is
an incorrect statement. The X-Prize involves two flights,
if the June 21st flight is the first of a pair of flights
meeting the X-Prize requirements then it would indeed be
an X-Prize flight. Aside from the flying within two weeks
criterion, the flight certainly looks to meet all the other
X-Prize requirements.
Old June 3rd 04, 12:44 AM
Darren J Longhorn

On Wed, 02 Jun 2004 18:23:42 -0500, "Christopher M. Jones"
wrote:

Derek Lyons wrote:
Nope. The June 21 attempt will not meet the requirements of an
X-Prize flight.

Perhaps it's just sloppy wording on your part but this is
an incorrect statement. The X-Prize involves two flights,
if the June 21st flight is the first of a pair of flights
meeting the X-Prize requirements then it would indeed be
an X-Prize flight. Aside from the flying within two weeks
criterion, the flight certainly looks to meet all the other
X-Prize requirements.

I haven't seen any mention of the required passengers for the June
21st flight. In fact the press release states: "Based on the success
of the June space flight attempt, SpaceShipOne will later compete for
the Ansari X Prize" which, at least to me, implies that this flight
does not contribute towards the X Prize contest. Therefore, Derek
would seem to be correct?

Old June 3rd 04, 12:58 AM
Christopher M. Jones

July 4th is within two weeks of June 21st. FYI.

NASA's X-43A flight results in treasure trove of data Jacques van Oene Space Shuttle 0 April 7th 04 06:42 PM
Space Shuttle ypauls Misc 3 March 15th 04 01:12 AM
NASA updates Space Shuttle Return to Flight plans Jacques van Oene Space Shuttle 0 February 20th 04 05:32 PM
captive carry test prepares NASA for next Hyper-X flight Jacques van Oene Space Shuttle 0 January 23rd 04 05:50 PM
Space Station Crew & Students Are 'Partners In Flight' Ron Baalke Space Station 0 December 16th 03 09:09 PM