X Prize Cup

Old October 5th 04, 06:37 PM
Jeff Findley

Default X Prize Cup

Looks like the competitions will go on:

http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/space/1....ap/index.html

Here's one interesting bit:

International Fuel Technologies of St. Louis, Mo., announced
Monday that it has signed on as the event's first major sponsor.
"IFT has just secured a new position in the new frontier,"
said Chief Executive Officer Jonathan Burst.

St. Louis? Why would compainies in St. Louis be interested in flying
contests. :-)

Jeff

Old October 5th 04, 11:51 PM
Kevin Saff

"Jeff Findley" wrote in message

Looks like the competitions will go on:

http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/space/1....ap/index.html

Here's one interesting bit:

International Fuel Technologies of St. Louis, Mo., announced
Monday that it has signed on as the event's first major sponsor.
"IFT has just secured a new position in the new frontier,"
said Chief Executive Officer Jonathan Burst.

St. Louis? Why would compainies in St. Louis be interested in flying
contests. :-)

A serious answer:

Among other things, the city of St. Louis is perceived as having a severe
self-image problem. Civic leaders are seemingly always looking for ways to
make people less depressed about living here, and I think supporting the
X-Prize Foundation was seen as a way of being a part of something that tied
into the city's legendary golden age, when we had world's fairs and financed
heroic trans-atlantic flights. In my opinion, obsession with one's past is
not a healthy way to combat depression, and I think the recent World's Fair
anniversary celebrations did little to promote optimism for the city's
future. Not many are aware of the city's connection to the X-Prize.

More positively, hosting the X-Prize Foundation makes total sense for St.
Louis; after all, it is the headquarters for such industry giants as
McDonnell Douglas, TWA, ... oh ... *sniff* :..(

--
+---- Kevin C. Saff ----+ F-15 | |Eagle

Old October 6th 04, 04:58 AM
Mike Walsh

"Kevin Saff" wrote in message
"Jeff Findley" wrote in message

Looks like the competitions will go on:

http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/space/1....ap/index.html

Here's one interesting bit:

International Fuel Technologies of St. Louis, Mo., announced
Monday that it has signed on as the event's first major sponsor.
"IFT has just secured a new position in the new frontier,"
said Chief Executive Officer Jonathan Burst.

St. Louis? Why would compainies in St. Louis be interested in flying
contests. :-)

A serious answer:

Among other things, the city of St. Louis is perceived as having a severe
self-image problem. Civic leaders are seemingly always looking for ways

make people less depressed about living here, and I think supporting the
X-Prize Foundation was seen as a way of being a part of something that

tied
into the city's legendary golden age, when we had world's fairs and

financed
heroic trans-atlantic flights. In my opinion, obsession with one's past

is
not a healthy way to combat depression, and I think the recent World's

Fair
anniversary celebrations did little to promote optimism for the city's
future. Not many are aware of the city's connection to the X-Prize.

More positively, hosting the X-Prize Foundation makes total sense for St.
Louis; after all, it is the headquarters for such industry giants as
McDonnell Douglas, TWA, ... oh ... *sniff* :..(

--
+---- Kevin C. Saff ----+ F-15 | |Eagle
| Engineer in St. Louis | _____|_^_|_____
| Tracking/Fleet Support| * + [_(x)_] + *

And, of course, Lindbergh's airplane was named
"Spirit of St. Louis".

The only thing St. Louis should have a self-image problem
about is their climate (and I mean the weather, not
some kind psychic climate).

Mike Walsh