A new record...

Old October 4th 04, 04:07 PM
Andrew Gray

Default A new record...

The unoffical apogee call for SpaceShipOne today was 368,000' [1]; if my
sums are right, the previous X-15 record was about 355,000'. Looks like
a pretty good flight from here.

4% over isn't bad... now, bets on it being broken before the end of the
year? Decent chance, I'd guess.

(The previous flight was 337,600'; the first SS1 suborbital was
328,491')

[1] http://www.spaceflightnow.com/ss1/status.html

--
-Andrew Gray

Old October 4th 04, 04:19 PM

Andrew Gray wrote:
The unoffical apogee call for SpaceShipOne today was 368,000' [1]; if

my
sums are right, the previous X-15 record was about 355,000'. Looks

like
a pretty good flight from here.

4% over isn't bad... now, bets on it being broken before the end of

the
year? Decent chance, I'd guess.

Better than at any time since the mid-1960s! But I wonder if
SS1 will be flown again any time soon after today...

- Ed Kyle

Old October 4th 04, 05:22 PM

There's another suborbital record. I think it is owned
by Vasili Lazarev and Oleg Makarov who reached at least 192 km
(~630,000 feet) (according to some reports) during their aborted Soyuz
18a flight in 1975. Virgil Grissom made the highest *planned*
suborbital flight in 1961 during the MR-4 mission. Gus topped out at
something like 190.3 km (624,000 feet or 118 plus miles).

- Ed Kyle

Old October 4th 04, 09:13 PM

I can only guess. It makes sense that SpaceShipOne should eventually
reside in the same building with Rutan's Voyager.
A hell of an engineer, that guy.

- Ed Kyle

Old October 4th 04, 09:41 PM

And while I'm thinking about private space achievement (Rutan), this
would also be a good time to to recognize the late George Koopman, the
force behind American Rocket Company - the pioneering 1980s space
start-up that initially developed the hybrid motor technology that
powered SpaceShipOne today.

(Mr. Koopman also deserves recognition both for having coordinated the
1,500 foot aerial Ford Pinto ("driven" by "Illinois Nazis"!) drop into
Chicago filmed for use in the movie "The Blues Brothers" and for having
briefly dated Carrie Fisher!)

We all have our heros ....

- Ed Kyle