Genesis Auger - End of Manned Capsule Worship?

Old September 11th 04, 06:06 AM
George William Herbert

It looks like parachute/capsules probably have about the
same failure rate as winged/reusables. What I'm wondering
is whether an event on live TV similar to Genesis, but with
people inside, would be more traumatic to the public (and
the program) than the shuttle losses weve seen. If a failed
chute happened, the astronauts would know it - and would
presumably be in communication all the way down...

"Hayward, this is Transfer nine five. Mayday Mayday Mayday.
We have confirmed primary parafoil failure and secondary chute
rip tangles and are descending through ten thousand feet. We have
blown the aft hatch and we are abandoning the capsule on emergency
personal chutes now. Passenger one out. Passenger two out.
I have two good chutes. Sorry about the capsule writeoff and I hope
it doesn't squash any tortoises on the ground. Passenger three
out and good chute. Commander signing off and out."

-george william herbert

Old September 11th 04, 06:11 AM
George William Herbert

Derek Lyons wrote:
(Rusty B) wrote:
So there have been 129 manned capsule landings with 1-failure (Soyuz
1) and one partial failure (Apollo 15 - one parachute collapsed ).

You are missing a few partial failures. IIRC several Soyuz parachutes
failed to automatically separated and had to be manually separated.

Both of those failures were over 30-years ago.

So effin' what?

As Derek is pointing out, any active system is going to have failure
modes, and they can always bite. Many passive systems will have
sufficently lethal failure modes too, but they are much rarer.

The only passive re-entry / landing system would be a capsule so
big that its aerodynamic terminal velocity was so low that it
would simply flutter down and thump with internal shock absorbers
or crush structure to attenuate the impact. While this is physically
possible, it's probably not operationally practical or cost effective.
I looked at them for a while and am still noodling design work on
them but I don't think they're the "right choice".

We will probably continue to use active systems, be they wings
and controls and landing gear, or parachute/parafoil systems,
and will continue to run the risk of having them fail.
Airplanes can still have major structural failures
and major systems failures despite being very mature tech.
Spacecraft are not that mature by any means.

-george william herbert