Genesis Auger - End of Manned Capsule Worship?

Old September 8th 04, 08:14 PM
Jeff Findley

"Rusty B" wrote in message
om...
I don't believe the Genesis had a backup parachute system that
a manned capsule would have had.

There isn't any rule that says backup parachute systems have to be limited
to manned spacecraft. A backup system in an unmanned craft could be
activated by a simple timing circuit, independent of the primary system. If
it doesn't detect that the primary chute has deployed at such and such
mission time, it fires the backup chute (which ought to have an independent
power supply, etc.).

Jeff

Old September 8th 04, 10:35 PM
John Thingstad

On 8 Sep 2004 12:46:09 -0700, wrote:

It looks like parachute/capsules probably have about the
same failure rate as winged/reusables. What I'm wondering
is whether an event on live TV similar to Genesis, but with
people inside, would be more traumatic to the public (and
the program) than the shuttle losses we've seen. If a failed
chute happened, the astronauts would know it - and would
presumably be in communication all the way down...

- Ed Kyle

In all the years of operation of Soyuz the chutes have failed to deploy
once in over
150 flights.

Besides the reason that Genesis's parachutes failed to deploy seems to be
that
the electronics never triggered the mortar. In a manned ship the
astronauts would
have a way to trigger them manually if the automatic deployment failed.
I am still convinced that a capsule is a inherently more sensible and
safe than a space plane. Both at launch and reentry.

Old September 8th 04, 11:10 PM
Jeff Findley

"John Thingstad" wrote in message
news

Besides the reason that Genesis's parachutes failed to deploy seems to be
that
the electronics never triggered the mortar. In a manned ship the
astronauts would
have a way to trigger them manually if the automatic deployment failed.
I am still convinced that a capsule is a inherently more sensible and
safe than a space plane. Both at launch and reentry.

On an unmanned ship, there ought to be an automatic timer that would deploy
the chute in the absence of the primary sensor inputs that would normally
trigger the chute deploy.

Even better would be a fully redundant backup chute tied to the independent,
backup, timer. Who says backup systems ought to be limited to manned
spacecraft?

Jeff

Old September 9th 04, 01:57 AM
Jorge R. Frank

"John Thingstad" wrote in
news
In all the years of operation of Soyuz the chutes have failed to
deploy once in over
150 flights.

Nope, Soyuz has only flown 90 flights.

--
JRF

think one step ahead of IBM.
Old September 9th 04, 03:30 AM
Christopher M. Jones

Christian Ramos wrote:
15 apollos ?

I only make 11 missions.

Apollo 7 - Earth Orbital
Apollo 8 - Lunar Orbital
Apollo 9 - Earth Orbital
Apollo 10 - Lunar Orbital
Apollo 11/12/13/14/15/16/17 - Lunar Landing

What am I missing???

A: skylab
B: Apollo 13 is in the wrong category