Hi I'm new here

Old December 20th 03, 01:43 AM
bug

Default Hi I'm new here

If we could in theory actually contact et's, wouldn't it make sense that their
planet is orbiting a star and emitting "pink-noise" radio signals, much like
earth does as it orbits the sun?
Hmmm... allow me to elaborate.
By pink-noise I mean the random radio signals that we send out for radio,
television, basic communications. And if these signals act like light wouldn't
they theororetically be pulled into the "groove" that the earth's orbit dig's
into space as it spins around the sun?
Should astronomers not be looking for planets, but the wake left in their
trails?
I'm also curious to what you send out as signals. I think it'd be a good idea
to recreate the scenario from "Close Encounters."
Like right a piece of music to sent out, but begin with a signal of 3bps, have
the signal pulse and pause for an equal time and allow the signals pitch to
increase and duration increase at a steady rate until the pitch reaches 180bpm
(i think) and have the instruments tuned to a-441 since its a number divisible
by three.

steve(vote for me2020!)
http://members.aol.com/_ht_a/whyweig...mtbrand=AOL_US
"music is like this porthole into another world... the world of truth."- trey
Stick it to the man in 2004, wait? who's the green candidate in 2004?

Old December 20th 03, 10:13 AM
Mike Williams

Wasn't it bug who wrote:
If we could in theory actually contact et's, wouldn't it make sense that their
planet is orbiting a star and emitting "pink-noise" radio signals, much like
earth does as it orbits the sun?

The problem with looking for broad spectrum radio noise (be it pink,
white or brown) is that there are natural radio noise sources, like
stars, that are much stronger than the random radio signals given off by
a civilization with a technology equivalent to our own. If the little
green men want to be heard, then we expect them to transmit a non-noisy
signal which can be picked out from the noisy background.

And if these signals act like light wouldn't
they theororetically be pulled into the "groove" that the earth's orbit dig's
into space as it spins around the sun?

You've completely lost me on this one. What makes you think light gets
pulled into a "groove"? Have you ever seen light wakes that are left by
other planets, or by the Moon? I haven't and I'd expect radio wakes to
be similarly difficult to detect even from short distances.

I'm also curious to what you send out as signals. I think it'd be a good idea
to recreate the scenario from "Close Encounters."
Like right a piece of music to sent out, but begin with a signal of 3bps, have
the signal pulse and pause for an equal time and allow the signals pitch to
increase and duration increase at a steady rate until the pitch reaches 180bpm
(i think) and have the instruments tuned to a-441 since its a number divisible
by three.

My understanding is that the achievable data rate over the sort of
signal that we are capable of transmitting over interstellar distances
is a fraction of a bit per second, so analogue audio signals are not
suitable. Anyway, we don't actually know that the ETs have ears. Binary
data signals are more sensible, possibly using Frequency Switched
Keying, or by simply switching the carrier signal on and off to send one
and zero bits.

Probably the most significant thing that you can say in such a
transmission is an indication that we are here and we don't mind anyone
knowing, and that message can be achieved by simply sending an
unmodulated narrow band carrier wave.

--
Mike Williams
Gentleman of Leisure

Old December 21st 03, 08:21 AM
bug

Is not pink noise gaussian?

what's guassian mean?

Old December 22nd 03, 04:13 PM
bug

e. What makes you think light gets
pulled into a "groove"?

I guess it's just one of the ways a being can interpret the general theory of
relativity

Old December 23rd 03, 09:13 AM
Anthony Cerrato

"bug" wrote in message
e. What makes you think light gets
pulled into a "groove"?

I guess it's just one of the ways a being can interpret

the general theory of
relativity

A "groove?" I don't think so.

steve(vote for me2020!)

http://members.aol.com/_ht_a/whyweig...mtbrand=AOL_US
"music is like this porthole into another world... the

world of truth."- trey
Stick it to the man in 2004, wait? who's the green

candidate in 2004?

Is this supposed to be a sig? The usual format is to place
it below a few dashes if it is...like so:
-----
sig. ...tonyC

Old December 23rd 03, 07:21 PM
Clyde C. Phillips, III

3rdstone (bug) wrote in message ...
Is not pink noise gaussian?

what's guassian mean?
steve(vote for me2020!)
http://members.aol.com/_ht_a/whyweig...mtbrand=AOL_US
"music is like this porthole into another world... the world of truth."- trey
Stick it to the man in 2004, wait? who's the green candidate in 2004?

A Gaussian curve (also called a "normal" curve) is a bell-shaped
"frequency distribution" curve. If one were to plot the number the
women of the world that have a certain height versus the height, there
would be a lot more women around their average height (perhaps five
feet or 152 centimeters) than 6 feet (183 centimeters) or four feet
(122 centimeters). The curve would be lower at the abscissas of four
feet or six feet than five feet because there are more five-foot-tall
women than four-foot or six-foot women in the world. That curve looks
like a bell. The sensitivity of the Arecibo Seti receiver (or most any
receiver of that type) is in the shape of a Gaussian curve as one
moves away from the point of maximum sensitivity. The Seti
numbercruncher does a study using the Gaussian curve to identify
signals that originate from the heavens by seeing how those signals
get weaker as they drift to and away from the point of maximum
sensitivity. That's what the Gaussian study is. If the signal is not
similar to a Gaussian curve it is probably terrestrial RFI. There is
more about this at the main Website.