Your advice/opinion needed (long!)

Old February 1st 04, 08:31 PM
Math Heijen

Default Your advice/opinion needed (long!)

Hi all,

In the Sky and Telescope of March 2004, Stuart Goldman
wrote an article (page 66, Running Commentary) about
weblogs. Stuart is wondering why amateur astronomers
don't create online observing diaries using weblogs or "blogs"
technique. This diary could serve as an "online" observing
journal, replacing the paper version. He searched the Internet
but couldn't find any. My astro-weblog came closest, but as he
correctly stated, consists only of additions and updates of my site.
Actually it did, until December 2003.

I have been thinking about the contents of my astro-weblog
for the last few months. If I would only put some site-updates
in the weblog, than it would be nothing more than a
"what's new" page. Stuart suggests that all the observing
notes, sketches, etc. should be in the weblog. I fully agree
with him, but if you live in a climate like I do (the Netherlands),
you would be lucky to have 40 or 50 entries in the weblog a year.
That's not enough to keep a weblog interesting. So what is there
to write about the other 300 days?

In December 2003 I decided it was time to change the weblog.
From then on it not only contains site-updates and observing logs,
but also some new categories like the Deepsky TOP 100 (my 100
favorite deepsky objects, every week a new object with finder charts,
sketches etc.), Binocular Objects (every month an object for
binocular observers), observers links (interesting links for observers,
that I have found somewhere on the web and added to my links pages).
I also keep you updated about my new equipment, books and
magazines. All weblog entries more or less relate to observing
(except news on space missions).

Comments on my weblog are highly appreciated! Tell me what you
like and what you don't like about it. If you think it's
completely redundant, please don't hesitate to tell me. Only this
way I will know if it is something I should keep running.

Best regards,
Math

for the weblog click he

http://www.backyard-astro.com/pMachinePro2.3/weblog.php