A Space & astronomy forum. SpaceBanter.com

Go Back   Home » SpaceBanter.com forum » Astronomy and Astrophysics » Amateur Astronomy
Site Map Home Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Want to watch a mannequin blow up?

Old March 2nd 19, 05:17 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
RichA[_6_]
external usenet poster

Default Want to watch a mannequin blow up?

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-47414390

Old March 2nd 19, 10:21 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Gerald Kelleher
external usenet poster

On Saturday, March 2, 2019 at 4:17:25 AM UTC, RichA wrote:

I see you covered both outcomes with this great engineering achievement using separate threads but you may have preferred if the rocket blew up that is also in the deplorable nature of so many in this newsgroup.

Any achievement, be it engineering or astronomical, is open to mockery among those who lack the courage of innovation or individuality yet it will always be loved by those where life and human endeavour is exciting and fresh.

Should I lament with you that the mannequin didn't blow up ? - what I saw was a society trying to break free into their solar system neighbourhood.

Old March 3rd 19, 12:30 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
RichA[_6_]
external usenet poster

On Saturday, 2 March 2019 01:21:39 UTC-8, Gerald Kelleher wrote:

I see you covered both outcomes with this great engineering achievement using separate threads but you may have preferred if the rocket blew up that is also in the deplorable nature of so many in this newsgroup.

Any achievement, be it engineering or astronomical, is open to mockery among those who lack the courage of innovation or individuality yet it will always be loved by those where life and human endeavour is exciting and fresh.

Should I lament with you that the mannequin didn't blow up ? - what I saw was a society trying to break free into their solar system neighbourhood.

Ha ha ha! "Break free" of their solar system neighbourhood. With this level of technology, the only way they'll "break free" is if they have their ashes loaded onto a space probe (tasked with other things) and wait for a 30 year trip past Pluto.
Old March 3rd 19, 10:06 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Gerald Kelleher
external usenet poster

On Saturday, March 2, 2019 at 11:31:00 PM UTC, RichA wrote:
On Saturday, 2 March 2019 01:21:39 UTC-8, Gerald Kelleher wrote:

Should I lament with you that the mannequin didn't blow up ? - what I saw was a society trying to break free into their solar system neighbourhood..

Ha ha ha! "Break free" of their solar system neighbourhood. With this level of technology, the only way they'll "break free" is if they have their ashes loaded onto a space probe (tasked with other things) and wait for a 30 year trip past Pluto.

The idea of breaking free of the Earth's surface and into the solar system neighbourhood belongs to those who are comfortable looking out at a central Sun and the different perspectives we see from our moving planet depending on whether the planet is moving faster or slower than we are.

I don't see anyone else affirm the Earth's orbital motion around the stationary Sun in the following timelapse thereby giving them a view of what the inner solar system looks like or indeed the motions of the planet behind the same central Sun although it is quiet at present -

https://sohowww.nascom.nasa.gov/data...current_c3.gif

It is not for everyone but for those who can use their rational and interpretative skills it gives the sense of the neighbourhood nearer the Sun as opposed to the neighbourhood further away.