ASTRO: Gyulbudaghian's (Variable) Nebula

Old September 11th 12, 09:22 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default ASTRO: Gyulbudaghian's (Variable) Nebula

Gyulbudaghian's Nebula is a highly variable nebula lit up by PV Cephi.
The star is also the source of HH-215. No two images of this one look
the same. Sometimes it is just a faint, rather white jet, other times
there's a very obvious reflection nebula. Sometimes it is somewhat
diffuse and blue other times rather white and detailed. This is the way
I found it when my data was taken on September 24, 2011 (UT). Compare
it to this image taken in October, 2010
http://www.caelumobservatory.com/gallery/PVCephei.shtml . Then there's
this very wide field image, west up, taken in 2008 when it was more like
seen in my image, http://tvdavisastropics.com/astroimages-1_000067.htm .
It is virtually invisible in this,east up, July 2009 image
http://www.astroeder.com/deepsky/350...68_eder_en.htm .

I'll save my fingers by referring further discussion to these links.
http://observing.skyhound.com/archives/oct/GM_1-29.html
http://iopscience.iop.org/0004-637X/.../59148.web.pdf

There are a surprising number of distant galaxies in the image once you
look outside the nebulous regions. NED lists some invisible ones from
the 2MASS catalog that are visible only at 2 microns and not visible
light. Those not seen at 2 microns aren't listed however. The blue
somewhat edge on spiral above and a bit left of the reflection nebula is
an example. I didn't expect so many faint fuzzies in this region of the
sky.

14" LX200R @ f/10, L=8x10 RG=2x10' B=4x10', STL-11000XM, Paramount ME

Rick
--
Prefix is correct. Domain is arvig dot net

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PV-CEPL8X10RG2X10B4X10R.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	440.5 KB
ID:	4267  Click image for larger version

Name:	PV-CEPL8X10RG2X10B4X10R-CROP150.JPG
Views:	233
Size:	142.0 KB
ID:	4268
Old September 11th 12, 08:41 PM
WA0CKY WA0CKY is offline
Senior Member

I have to stop doing this so late at night. Yet again I grabbed a wrong image. The cropped image was right but not the full image. Correct one attached.

Rick
--
Prefix is correct. Domain is arvig dot net[/quote]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PV-CEPL8X10RG2X10B4X10R1.JPG
Views:	653
Size:	583.0 KB
ID:	4269
Old September 14th 12, 07:23 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Great image Rick.
The shape of the nebula is remarkably similar to NGC 2261.

Stefan

Old September 15th 12, 05:00 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

It was last year. I've not looked to see what it is like this year. It
varies yearly at least. Probably a lot faster than that.

Rick