The Vatican Is Looking for God in the Stars

Old May 18th 17, 12:14 AM posted to alt.astronomy
a425couple

Default The Vatican Is Looking for God in the Stars

HEAVENS ABOVE
The Vatican Is Looking for God in the Stars
Pope Francis urges deep space explorers not to fear the truth about
what’s out there.
Barbie Latza Nadeau
05.14.17 12:15 AM ET

ROME—If you think faith and science can’t share common ground, think
again. Experts in both realms met last week at the Vatican Observatory
to prove their theory that you can’t have one without the other. “If you
have no faith in your faith, that is when you will fear science,” said
Brother Guy Consolmagno the Vatican’s chief astronomer, whose works
include such titles as “Would you Baptize an Extraterrestrial?”
Brother Consolmagno led the three-day conference called Black Holes,
Gravitational Waves and Spacetime Singularities at the Vatican
Observatory’s Castel Gandolfo labs outside of Rome, the former papal
summer residence that is remote enough to allow for clear stargazing
with minimal light pollution.

inRead invented by Teads
He challenged astronomers, cosmologists. and other experts in the field
who also believe in God to “come out” and talk about the intersection of
faith and fact. What he ended up with are talks like, “The Internal
Structure of Spinning Black Holes” and “The Big Bang and its Dark-Matter
Content: Whence, Whither, and Wherefore.” Not once in the whole program
does the word “God” or “religion” even appear, which is rare for a
conference sponsored by the Vatican.
The Vatican’s Pontifical Academy of Sciences is also absent from the
scene, although it has sponsored similar events in the past to try to
sort out the murky waters between hard facts and blind faith. The
academy’s chancellor, Bishop Marcelo Sánchez Sorondo, told The Daily
Beast in 2013 that the two are not mutually exclusive. “If we don't
accept science, we don't accept reason,” said Sánchez, “and reason was
created by God."
On the question of climate science and climate change, Pope Francis is
not only convinced, he’s vehement. After the election of Donald Trump’s
climate-change-skeptic administration last year, the pope noted that
politicians had “reacted weakly” to the needs of humanity on this score
and deplored “the ease with which well-founded scientific opinion about
the state of our planet is disregarded.”
Clearly, the Church has come a long way since it condemned Galileo as a
heretic during the Inquisition.

Pope Francis is not the hard-core creationist some of his predecessors
were (and many Evangelicals in America are). In 2014, he told a
Pontifical Academy of Sciences conference not to always take the Bible
literally. “When we read in Genesis the account of Creation, we risk
imagining God as a magician, with a magic wand able to make everything,”
Francis said. “But it is not so.”
“The Big Bang, which nowadays is posited as the origin of the world,
does not contradict the divine act of creating, but rather requires it,”
Francis said at the time. “The evolution of nature does not contrast
with the notion of Creation, as evolution presupposes the creation of
beings that evolve.”
In fact, it was Father Georges Lemaître, a Roman Catholic priest, who is
credited with coming up with the first scientific equations and the
“primeval Atom” that led to what we now know as the “Big Bang Theory” in
the first place. The Vatican Observatory conference also honors his
legacy. Lemaître, a Belgian who moonlighted as an astrophysicist,
published an article in a scientific journal in about it in 1927, two
years before Edwin Hubble gained widely accepted fame for the theory.
Lemaître had called his version a “cosmic egg,” which never really
caught on. He was forced to straddle a tightrope in 1951 when Pope Pius
XII started confusing Lemaître’s work with the Gospel, saying that the
Big Bang actually represented the moment of God’s creation which, as any
good Catholic knows from Catechism, took place in a matter of in six
days, with God resting on the seventh day, the Sabbath, and that’s why
most of us get Sundays off.
Lemaître never published his research again after that that.
“This fear of science people talk about is a myth,” Father Gabriele
Gionti, one of the conference organizers said. “Lemaître always made a
distinction between the beginnings of the universe and its origins. The
beginning of the universe is a scientific question to date with
precision when things started. The origin of the universe, however, is a
theologically charged question that has nothing at all to do with a
scientific epistemology.”

Brother Consolmagno is perhaps more open to interpretation. The
MIT-trained head of the Vatican Observatory believes that science and
faith don’t always have to overlap. “God is not a scientific
explanation,” he told Religion News Service. “If you are using God
instead of science to explain what happens in the world you are talking
about the gods of the Romans and Greeks. We believe in a God that
creates outside space and time and shows us everything he did. We
experience God as a person, as a god of love.”

At the end of the conference, Pope Francis told those who gathered not
to fear the truth about what’s really out there. “I am deeply
appreciative of your work, and I encourage you to persevere in your
search for truth,” he said. “For we ought never to fear truth, nor
become trapped in our own preconceived ideas, but welcome new scientific
discoveries with an attitude of humility.”

http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...ig-bang-theory
Old May 18th 17, 01:53 AM posted to alt.astronomy
Arc Michael

On Wednesday, May 17, 2017 at 4:15:07 PM UTC-7, a425couple wrote:
I found the crown of thorns in the star system of the Urn.

see my star cat for details and photos
Old May 18th 17, 09:32 PM posted to alt.astronomy
herbert glazier

[...]

God is up,and the Devil is down.We get our heaven and hell right here on the ground.Reality is always be buried in the direction your going.Most I;m sure face down. TreBert