How to use SIMBAD? or other sky viewer

Old December 25th 16, 04:43 AM posted to sci.astro.research

Default How to use SIMBAD? or other sky viewer

I would like to do some viewing of the sky using an online viewer.
I have tried simbad, though haven't figured it out very well. Is
there a tutorial video anyone knows about and or is there a better
site? primarily for the moment, I'd like to be able to pick a sky
direction, then select an object type, then view the sky directed
at the sky direction showing all of the types in that field of view.

for example, I wanted to search for quasars around ngc1222. I found
2, one of which is

LBQS 0303-0251 -- Quasar

But I was only able to plot one object at a time and couldn't control
the field of view. It appears there are 2 QSOs within the 2 arc
minute field the system gave me, both of which I think are right
in the center of the galaxy. How could I be able to see a distant
quasar through the light of the center of a galaxy?

I tried to select otype = QSO and found 2 objects, but then I
couldn't get them to plot along with the NGC1222.

Any suggestions? Is there an easier viewer I should use that can
show me these objects? I like the details in SIMBAD if I could
just figure out how to get plots and select a list of object types
to plot.

Thanks,

rt
Old December 30th 16, 09:37 PM posted to sci.astro.research
Eric Flesch

On Sat, 24 Dec 2016 22:43:48 EST, wrote:
I would like to do some viewing of the sky using an online viewer.
I have tried simbad ...

For quasars, you'd probably be better to query a quasar catalog, and
SIMBAD and NED don't keep up very well with the latest discoveries.
You can query the "half million quasars" catalog at
http://vizier.cfa.harvard.edu/viz-bi...source=VII/273